Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

E. Howard & Co, Boston Pictures "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I don't get out to watch shows any more but I would love to see some pictures of a few E. Howard & Co, Boston in their original cases and perhaps other members would as well. I have enjoyed exellent pictures of all the high quality American pocket watches on this board but I can't recall more than 1 or 2 Howards. I have only one L size and will post some pictures as soon as I take them.

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Here is a nice SER VII case...

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
The dial....

IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
A nice split-plate....

IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Here is one I just sold recently, the only complete one known to exist in it's factory case..

IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
And the lowest number Howard I ever owned...

Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
FAB pictures, Harold. Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Harold,

Is that last movement shown only held in with one case screw?

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Yes, only one screw, later two large head short screws were used on the dial side plate and the single hole screw was left blank, like on this example.....

posted
Shut the door! Harold, that has to be one of the most beautiful watch / case combos I have ever seen! Only one thing wrong with it... you didn't post it on the 'member auction pages'. Big Grin Big Grin Really, it is beautiful! What do the dial letters signify?

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
John C. Butler is the man's name on the dial. Have no idea who he was, other then the fact he must have been a wealthy man.... By the way, the backside of the dial is signed and dated by Joshia Moorhouse.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
PUT ON THE SHADES/ OUTA SIGHT Cool
All spectacular Harold!! I really like the VIII
Split~Plate!!!
Did you find many of these on Joshua Trees in the Arizona Desserts Confused
Thanks for letting us enjoy them also Big Grin
regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Don't ask me why I sold this SER VII fancy case, at the time I thought I had to have a Howard & Rice so I made a trade... wished I wouldn't have, I've never seen a case that nice since.....

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Harold - I always have been and always will be in awe of your Howard collection! You have some of the most drop dead gorgeous watches. And some fine examples of the early history of the company. Thanks for sharing with us.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
I don't know how I can follow Harold and his beauties, but here are the Howard's in my collection with what I believe to be the original cases. I have others, but they are either naked or have been recased.

Here is the 18K E.H. & Co. case holding serial #36004:

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
And the movement...

posted
It has a beautiful dedication....

posted
Here is serial #36399 in a P.B. & Co. 18K case....

posted
Here is the movement....

posted
Next up is serial # 40068 in an 18K case that is unmarked. This may be a recase, and the bow is loose, but it is still a very pretty case...

posted
And serial #40068. The plates have a lot of toning...

posted
The case is only marked 18k, 1000.....

posted
Here is serial #43769. It is in a 14k E.H. & Co. open face case. Could this be one modified with a front crystal?

posted
Here is the movement for serial #43769...

posted
And last is serial #58638. It is in a very, very heavy coin case.

posted
The movement fits snugly and there are no extra screw marks. This was the first movement for this case, although it very well could be a recase.

posted
I have not seen this case name before. If anyone can help, please let me know. The shield has an eagle with spread wings.

IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Mary Ann, your number 36,399 is absolutely in its original factory case. The watch was finished Dec.21, 1872 and sold for $116 to Palmer Bachelder & Co.(PB&Co.)on March 22, 1873.
Time permitting, I'll see what I can find on the others...

posted
Thanks to all for posting some beautiful and rare Howard pictures. Here is my L Howard #61326. A little rough but keeps time and shows presentable. The case is a Roy 14kt and may be a recase but I don't see any old srew marks.

posted
movement

posted
case

posted
case edge & pendant

posted
Thank you, Harold, for the information about serial # 36339. It is always nice to get confirmation.

Keith - that is a beautiful L size Howard even with the not quite perfect plates. In my book, any E. Howard is a gem!