• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Candian Northern Railway Special Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have recently purchased a C.N.R.R. Railway Special 18s 21j watch and can't determine the maker of the movement so I can date the watch.
The Serial # is 637421 and it has a C.W.C. Co. Tornado case (25 year) #468589.
The watch is pendant set,adjusted to 6 positions and non-magnetic.
I'd appreciate help to determine the movement make.
Thanks

silvercloud

Posts: 2 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 30, 2014
IHC Member 1555
posted
A Swiss Railroad look a like of very low quality, some people collect these for the novelty.

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
The railroad existed from 1899 until 1923 when it merged into the Canadian National Railway system.

Posts: 31 | Location: Mt. Pleasant, Michigan in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2016
posted
The Canadian Northern Railway existed from 1899 until 1923 when it merged into the Canadian National Railway system.

Posts: 31 | Location: Mt. Pleasant, Michigan in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2016
IHC Member 1555
posted
I do not dispute that the Railroad existed but that watch would have never been accepted anywhere in America or most other places for that matter. A Swiss low grade pretender, no doubt about it.

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Bila is correct, although he diplomatically avoided using the term, these watches are referred to as Swiss Fakes.

Low grade Swiss made watches meant to mimic high grade American railroad watches.

I like them and have a few, particularly Canadian Northern Special and Grand Trunk Pacific Special and of the ones I have seen, many came in the Tornado case, the quality of which is on par with the watch.

They can be fixed, but do not keep great time

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
Thanks for the information. Even if the watch is a 'fake' I'd like to find out the maker and the date if possible.
Was there an officially certified watch used for the
Canadian Northern RR?
I have a collection of RR watches (CPR & Canadian Time Service) and this looks very 'authentic' so must have been a reasonably good 'fake'.

silvercloud

Posts: 2 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 30, 2014
posted
That is a nice swiss watch , I doubt you will find a maker , they where trying to avoid being found !It was meant to mimic a watch like the CPR waltham or others .

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
quote:
That is a nice swiss watch , I doubt you will find a maker , they where trying to avoid being found !It was meant to mimic a watch like the CPR waltham or others .

You are correct Kevin. These were such a problem in the USA (Time Ball Special made by Morthier Sandoz but parts do not interchange with these) that at some point they required a "Swiss" stamp on imports but as far as I know, not in Canada.

Jim, CNoR existed from 1899 to about 1918 and the GTP from 1903 to about 1918 so 1905 to 1915 would be a good guess for a manufacture date.

I use "about" because they both were put into receivership and morphed into CNR from 1918 to 1923.

If you take it to a watchmaker for repair he will tell you that there are actually no jewels just pieces of some sort of waxy celluloid material or a simple metal bushing.

If you need parts I may be able to help you.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011