Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

18s Hampden M3 The Governor "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello to all,
I was going through my watches today and kinda found this one. A Hampden m3 "the Governor" I did a search here no dice. Pocket Watch Data Base identifies it as a 3-Ball which It is not Any info would be appreciated S/N 1281516. Is there anything special here or is it another run off the mill model 3?
Thanks in Advance,
Michael

Posts: 148 | Location: Germantown, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2015
posted
Photo of the dial

Posts: 148 | Location: Germantown, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2015
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I am no help but just wanted to say how nice that Hampden is. I have some that look like it but they do not say The Governor.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 2030
posted
No help here. The Governer is most exelent. What a nice watch!

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Member 1555
posted
Probably another "Private Label" Michael, looks a lot similar to the 17 Jewel Tu-Tone "Golden Gate" private label I had. Hampden made plenty of P/L's between 105xxxx to 130xxxx and the "3 Ball's" were mixed in there as well, but wrong damaskeening for a "3 Ball".

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Bila Did your Golden Gate have that name on the dial or like my Governor just on the mvmt and the dial could be a replacement. If so who sold such PL watches with strange names. Yes as I mentioned in my original post I know it is not a 3 ball. Anybody have any idea of the value? A.W.C Siveroid case.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Name was just on the movement Michael.

IHC Member 1555
posted
The dial is not necessary a replacement Michael, Hampden had plenty of P/L's marked just on the movement and not on the dial. I do not know which Jeweller might have requested these.

posted
I will look in my Hampden book but I agree with Bila Hampden did not always match the dial to the PL on the movement and the font looks time correct for the movement.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
It being a Hampden the value will not be as much as some of the others. I have a two toned 18s Hampden marked "Limited" on the movement and the dial. What they are worth who knows but in today's market I would say the value is a lot lower than it would be in a sellers market.

posted
Claude,
What is this Hampden Book you speak of? I would certainly like to own a copy of that. I know information about Hampdens is poor and the fat book almost useless. What sets value? The fat book or what a buyer is willing to pay, or all the hyperbole about the great watch manufacturers excluding those that are not Hamilton, Elgin, or Waltham. In essence Chevrolet, Ford, Chrysler and the rest are not so desirable. Sez who? Just trying to get some perspective here.

IHC Member 1610
posted
I probably have 75 running Hampdens and 50 movements that don't run. I have always liked Hampden. I have several 23J 18s Hampdens and all of them probably would not add up to what my 23J 18s Hamilton is worth. Why? who knows but I take advantage of Hampden's low prices. Hampden has a book out just about Hampden's. It is a good book but it does not discus value. Hampden is the step child. I don't know why but it is. I like Hampden better than Elgin, better than Waltham and better than most all other brands other than Hamilton. Other people have there preferences. Claude has another link here where he is wondering why people look down on Hampden you may want to read it if you haven't already.

IHC Member 2030
posted
Well put Harry.

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Posts: 5224 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
that is the book, but it also has skips. In the case of my 16 size Ohioan hunter the book nor the database sites got it correct. The book does not even show an Ohioan hunter but does show the Ohioan open face. I think that is the problem it sometimes takes a bit more digging to find information on Hampdens but it should not deter you from collecting them.

posted
Thanks for the tip on the book ordered it today,
Michael

posted
Even though it is not perfect the book is well worth the investment, I also tend to pick up some of the old Roy E price guides since they have a lot of useful information. The Hampden book contains a lot of observations along with a lot of pictorial information, they try to fill in the voids in the serial number ranges as best possible but some still exist.

posted
On page 136 of the Hampden book it shows 2 Governor one at 1,281,486 and 1,281,492 so yours is probably part of that series that is a bit incomplete. The dial is correct for the time era.

posted
Claude,
Thank you for that bit of info. And I will look when I get the book. Still, I wonder if "the Governor" designation is a private label ordered by some reseller of just another one of Hampden's marketing names for mvmts. I realize probably no one can answer that but it provokes thoughts about how Hampden named mvmts. eh?
Michael

posted
quote:
I am no help but just wanted to say how nice that Hampden is. I have some that look like it but they do not say The Governor.

Harry could you post images of the mvmts that look like that but don't say "the Governor" thanks in advance.
Michael

posted
Probably a large jeweler near a main RR location. You see Illinois, Elgin, Hampton, Hamilton and others adding names or designs for these large jewelers or railroad inspectors such as AN Anderson, AJ Zang, CD Peacock so it was probably a private Label that order some from Hampden. What meaning the name has maybe that jeweler or inspector was located in one of the state capitals. Nice watch and good find.