WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rockford information sought, see latest post for more info "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
Need information on these two Rockfords. The first is marked "Our Own" on frosted full plate. It is HC and LS, has broken staff, at least, and I have no idea as to staff availability.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Front dial side. Excuse the dial sticker.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
The second is also an 18s, HC LS looks to be a model 10. The database looks to call this a King Edward but I see no markings to support that. It is 21 jewel and does run after I installed a mainspring. Not the same sidewinder case I got it in.

IHC Member 1016
posted
The movement

IHC Member 1016
posted
SN 664952

Picture of Clark Reed
posted
Mike - It could be to your benefit to check with our member, Paul Davis for the availability of your Rockford staff. He has pulled many of us out of the jaws of defeat, and is very professional in every respect. Reasonable too!!!

Clark Reed

Posts: 531 | Location: Anderson, South Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 09, 2013
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Clark. I do still need somebody to give me an idea of what I have here. I've never seen anything marked Our Own before, and I'm not sure about the model 10. Great place to get reliable information.

posted
Mike I don't know alot about Rockfords but the 664... Rockford is part of a group of watches that must not have been recorded when manufactured. My S#664580 which is a King Edward, but is not marked adjusted Heat and Cold like yours is part of that group. I see other watches in the same range with that notation(h&c) that aren't marked King Edward either so it appears there wasn't any consistency in the production process.
Chuck

Posts: 20 | Location: Diamond, Washington in the USA | Registered: February 26, 2015
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Chuck. I was perplexed about that non marking vs marking. If I understand your post, mine is not considered a King George, but, it is exactly like the King George except for the marking. So, does that make mine have a value similar to a KG, or lesser due to its not being marked?

IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi Mike,

First is a grade 70, model 8 as you might already know, only 1600 produced, 16 Jewel produced around 1889.

I would say a Private label, the difference between this and most P/L Rockford's you see is that they normally would have the Jobber's name on them. Still a very nice low production Rockford.

The second is very interesting as the King Edwards were made in Grade 845 Hunter, 910 O/F & 945 O/F flavours. Yours judging by observed serial numbers should be a Grade 845.

The King Edward's I have seen have been either marked just "adjusted" or marked "RG (in a circle) and adjusted", the first I have seen marked just "Heat & Cold". Although Rockford did chop & change markings on the same grades much more then other watch Manufacturers. Someone with more knowledge on these might be able to enlighten you further.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
Just another note on these Mike, Rockford did produce watches for Sears that were marketed under the "Plymouth Watch Co". one of the grades that they did was a Grade 215 which were actually a Grade 945.

These were usually marked Plymouth watch Co with the Heat & Cold adjustment (like you have there) as they were not adjusted to positions, but I think they were only in Open face configuration though.

Have you checked the serial numbers on all the plates, especially the barrel bridge?

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Mike:
As Bila indicated this is a grade 845. The big book shows the 845 to actually have a slightly higher value than the Plymouth Watch Co King Edward. The book also shows the first 100 of the 66400+ range to be 845 grade. The next 900 are omitted. As to the model 10, the 845 is never listed as anything but "Special" under the model designation, although it looks like a model 10. So who knows?
Chuck

Posts: 20 | Location: Diamond, Washington in the USA | Registered: February 26, 2015
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks to Bila and Chuck. As we can see, there is some evidence to say this Model 10 is an 845 grade, but nothing in writing. As Bila suggests, the Model 8 is interesting in that so few were made, actually making it a one star as far as production numbers.

posted
Is 2nd one missing regulator spring? (One which locks regulator arm) I can see 2 holes but no spring...

Rafal

Posts: 266 | Location: Wroclaw in Poland | Registered: May 06, 2013
IHC Member 1016
posted
Yes Rafal, it does appear to have holes for screws to hold a regulator spring. I noticed that some photos show a spring and some do not, but there probably should be one here.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Serviced, staffed, polished up and ready to find a new home.

posted
nice looking rockfords , I have seen a few of these "our own" marked watches , and always got out bid

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1016
posted
This is now for sale on USED WATCHES for a reasonable price.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6095371/m/9673953197

IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice Rockfords Mike! Those regulator whips are almost always gone or broken on those.I had to buy a lower grade movement to get a good one to use on my 918.Now I have a nice looking private label 935 with no whip , probably will never find another.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks, I had to have the regulator replaced on the model 8. It's really a good looking watch now. I just have too many watches!