WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Getty Sangamo and Bunn Special marked case "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Illinois Getty Sangamo and Bunn Special marked case

I don't think most watch companies started doing factory marked cases until the early 20's so if I purchased a Getty Sangamo from the 1910-1913 time frame it more than likely was not factory cased. From what I can find the serial number for the case would place it some time in the mid 20's. case sn 70xxxxx.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1911
posted
You are correct. Plain Sangamo's were never offered in a factory marked case. Only later when the "specials" came along.
T. Jones

Posts: 84 | Location: Central Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 12, 2013
IHC Member 1338
posted
I put most of mine in nice Dueber 10K Pyramid Bow cases, one of my favorites for Sangamo Specials, and the earlier Sangamos look real nice in a crisp french bow case of some kind

Correct me if I'm wrong, Terry, but I think that only model 10 23J Sangamo Specials came in those marked cases. I believe the 19J and the 21J did not come in marked cases, and of course none of the early Sangamos did.

I never was a big fan of that SS marked hinged front and screw back model.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Claude,

Please share your movement and case numbers.

I believe you will find that Getty Models would not qualify for Sangamo cases. Close examination of your watch should reveal the alterations. As you will see in the chart linked below, Tom was correct in his "Model 10 23-Jewel Sangamo Special" reference.

We have done our best (using actual examples) to explain in a simple, straightforward manner the whole story on early unmarked followed by fully-marked Sangamo cases, including pictures of some examples we hope you may find especially interesting.

Check this over from top to bottom...

CLICK> https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...1029912/m/4231069691

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I don't think it is altered this is a factory marked case but a "Bunn Special" marked case which I think would still be a standard 16s and not the 17s that the later Sangamo cases were.

posted
The watch arrived today and was better than what I expected. The case is marked, Bunn Special upper part of the inside case back, lower portion is marked 10K Wadsworth quality with the serial number 7069484.

The movement is sporting a Montgomery dial with diamond hour markers sn 2452013, It is now in a Deuber French bow 20yr case that has a nice design on the back. Dial, movement are all excellent to near mint and the hands are good but not excellent.