Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham "Pioneer" watch case "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 2149
posted
I know this case has been mentioned before on this site, and I believe one of the "Pioneer" cases was sold here. I have recently acquired a Waltham C.P.R. 17J pendant set in one of these cases. The movement is pegged at about 1900. For those unfamiliar, it is a nickeloid case. I have a fair collection of RR Grade PWs but have never personally come across this case before. Most of my collection is 24 hour dials and geared toward watches that were used or could have been used in Canadian RR employment.
I would appreciate any offerings of information.
Thanks for your time and attention.......Joe.....

Posts: 71 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: June 14, 2016
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Hello Joe,

Click here: Waltham "Pioneer" watch cases

Debbie

Posts: 5224 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 2149
posted
Thanks for the very quick reply. Interesting that the "Pioneer" part of the case, is referred to as an insert. My case is marked:
Waltham Pat 22 Apr 79 COIN 63169.
I have obviously wrongly assumed that the insert and the case all came together from the manufacturer. If I am to understand correctly, the insert was a separate piece supplied to various case companies (?).
If so, would this have been added to the case at the jewelers when installing the movement ?
Does it really have a significant purpose ?
Thanks again........Joe.......

posted
Hi Joe , That Pioneer case is silver , that doubles its value to me

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 2149
posted
Thanks Kevin.
I don't have any other "coin" cases, and even though I continually study information related to the hobby, it slipped my mind that this a mostly silver case as opposed to the "nickel" cases. One of those things you don't fully consider until you have it in hand I suppose.
I'm still not sure about the "Pioneer" insert if that is what it is.
Much appreciated..........Joe...........

posted
Hi Joe , I am still new to this , The case is called pioneer ,but after looking through the history I think your talking about an insert added to sheild it from "MAGNETISM "!!!!! , the scourge of the 1900"'s , when stray electrical currents could hijack your watch {and possibly your body} ,That sheild or insert is in all Pioneer case's {i think} . If your really worried about MAGNETISM !!! , you can start collecting Pailliard's Non-Magnetic pocket watch's , I stick with the ones made by Peoria and Illinois , since collecting these i have had no magnetism problems , come to think of it I never did

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 2149
posted
Thanks Kevin.
I believe I had read where that was a consideration for the insert and it makes sense to me................Joe..............

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Something I have read is that those inserts in silver cases were used as stiffeners.

It was cheaper than using more silver.

Any chance of a photo?

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011