• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Finding watches that look like new "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have found 2 571s, one from the "P" run and one from the last "I" run and both look like new. New being this watch still has the full detail of the butler finishing marks on the back, no scratches, no dents etc, one step beyond mint. It would be like finding a 69 Corvette stored in a climate controlled storage unit, intact, like it rolled off the dealer floor with 5 miles on the odometer. Not restored to look original but original.

I am sure that others have probably found later Walthams or Hamiltons in the same condition but I would wonder if larger chain stores had these watches on the shelf or in the warehouse and there was a point that they simply would not sell and they just unloaded them to another warehouse or such.

I have a few watches that I can easily call mint but only 2 that I can say look like new.

I would also like to thank the boys on the big board that beat down 571 for the issue of the detent setting and people damaging the mechanism not because it is a bad design but simply because they don't know how to properly remove the stem and damage it by trying to pry it out or such. I bought both watches for $300 or less so I guess as long as there is a chant out there that about these grades some collectors will be able to pick them up cheap.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I don't come across as many 571's as I used to. I know they were a VERY popular offering in the old Sears and J.C. Penney's catalogs 'back in the day' when I was 'drooling' over the wish book before Christmas.

Elgin's were mainly what Penney's offered, and the railroad 571 and Waltham 23j were their top pocket watch offerings. I just remember the 17j Hamilton's being in their list, but not the 992B. I only saw them in the show case of the local railroad watch inspector.

I'm bet you're dead on target about them just not selling, as a lot were probably stuck in storage at those large department store warehouses too. All folks were buying were wrist watches in the 60's.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
I am getting close to 10 571s and I need another like I need a headache but it is hard to pass on a good grade watch in excellent to like new range for 150-300. The only one that had an issue with the setting mechanism was the first and with a parts 573 it was an easy fix.

I need to get those blinders like they put on horses that when I get on ebay they block out Elgin 571s, lol.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
There are a whole lot of super condition 21Jewel RR watches still around by all the major watch companies that never saw service on the Nation's rails.

It's a really good time to buy these when they come along as it's currently a "buyer's market". IMHO as always and of course !!

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Pricing is a bit odd at the moment, grades that should pull more are under-priced and some grades that used to bottom dwellers are not in the upper bracket of pricing. Trying to find the bargains even if it duplicates some that I already have.

IHC Member 1338
posted
Claude, for some reason the majority of as new watches like this I've had were all 571 models, most in the streamline case but also in that stainless case as well. Must have been a bunch stored. When I DO sell one i've had no problem getting top dollar for them. Customers always like a nearly new never messed with example.

#2 has been 992Bs in model 15 cases, I've also had my share of them and they too brought top money but that wasnt recently. Dont know what they'd garner now.

Surprisingly, I haven't seen many Walthams in this condition. Had a stainless one once i believe.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008