Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin SN 19499 ??? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Elgin SN 19499 ???

The Elgin serial number lookup and the pocket watch data base both show this as a Model 1 Class 1 Grade 69 KW movement. All other movements in this class are Model 2 - 4 and are lever set. In the pocket watch data base all the grade 69's shown are Kw Ks. This one is lever set.

Sn 19465, 19390, 30769, etc are all kw ks. Why is this the only one that is lever set. It also has the Elgin National Watch Co. dial which would be wrong. Could the barrel bridge (which has the serial number on it) have been changed? That is the only thing I can think of. I do not have access to the movement.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Harry - The serial number is too early to feature an original lever-set mechanism. With the incorrect dial, my suspicion is the barrel bridge has been swapped.

Serial #19499 should be fitted with a plain regulator. The Moseley patent regulator was not added to the Grade 69 Raymond until c.1871. Also, the signing of “B.W. Raymond” should be the large expansive style (falling under the plate screw), not condensed. The movement should not be marked “Adjusted."

Do you happen to have photos of the movement and dial?

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
IHC Member 1610
posted
Here are a couple of pictures. I do not own the watch I was basically curious and trying to learn to avoid buying trouble.

IHC Member 1610
posted
front notice the lever

posted
Harry - The characteristics and style of the movement are consistent with expectations for this serial number.

The lever is certainly a curiosity. Any possibility the seller accidentally mixed up photos with a different movement?

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
IHC Member 1555
posted
Do you know if there is there any stem wind conversion on that watch Harry?

Posts: 2264 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Dial pic has to be from a wrong watch. The canon pinion is round and on an early Elgin like this the conversion kit would have left the square head canon pinion and would have been an abbots patent style up/down set lever, not an in/out style... I would almost expect this movement to have a double sunk dial too.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
Nathan and Jared I think you both are onto something. I did not think about them posting the wrong picture but that does make more since than someone swapping parts.

Bila I do not have any other pictures. This is all they posted but I think Nathan and Jared are onto something.