• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My $4.65 watch timing setup "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A few weeks ago I read a thread on this site about a timegrapher. The members of this site then posted and described their favorite timing machines. All of which are for the most part cost a good buck.
I will grant that they all probably do a fine job and the owners received a state of the art tool that will last them a long time. It will probably do things mine cant. This isnt a mine is better than yours post.
This post probably will not be of interest to those that own expensive timing machines, its mostly for those who are hobbyist watchmakers on a budget or who are just starting out and face a choice on what tool to buy next.

What you will need.

A block of wood for the base, mine is 6x6 and about an inch thick. (I had it in a pile of scrap, so free)
A wire coat hanger. (from the cleaners, so free)
A clip on contact microphone (I got mine on ebay for $3.20)
A reduction adapter if the microphone has the large jack. (I got mine for $1.45 on ebay)
The Drum Counter software (free)

I drilled a hole in the middle of the wood block. made a hook to hang watches from the coat hanger and glued it into the hole in the wooden block. This is to help isolate the watch to avoid any false beats being counted from bumping the table the watch would sit on.
I clipped the microphone onto the watch.
Then started up the Drum Counter application. Selected timer mode, set the timer for 600 so it will run for 10 minutes. Adjusted the threshold slider so only the ticks are counted. Then click reset. A few seconds later in the lower left hand corner you will see stokes per second. I let it run for about 6 or 7 minutes to get a more accurate count.
To make sure the microphone and software were accurate I tested one of my watches that is keeping rairoad time already.

18000 beats per hour is 5 beats per second.

Any more and the watch is running fast.
Any less and its running slow.

Granted its probably not as accurate as the $300-$500 machines, but heck I can live with it if it helps me get my watches within +- 1 minute a day.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Although I already have a Timegrapher machine, I do like this set-up. I have to try it sometime.

Regards, Krister.

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Your so smart Jim. I like it! I think I will try it. Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Nice job Jim,
How about a picture of your setup?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
This post would have saved me a few hundred bucks a year ago. What Jim's set up does is about all I use my high dollar machine for. I really didn't need to spend the money I spent on my unit. I paid for many features I will never use.

Great post, thank you.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
posted
Here is a photo of mine.
People having problems picking up the sound may want to raise the microphone volume in their sound settings. Also moving the microphone from one side to the other may help it pickup things better.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Nice setup. Can you also "listen" to the watch ticking? I am not sure about how you do beat error but if that is in the software and you can get a good pickup, this beats all.

After I get a watch running smoothly, the sequence I follow is;

1. Check "Beat Error" . . . that is the difference in measured time between "tick to "tock (A), AND "tock to tick" (B). As each of these segments is 1/5 of a second (200 milliseconds) we typically hope to see a result of A - (minus) B = < (less than) 1% or 2 milliseconds (0.002 sec).

2. Check beats per hour over a 10 beat period and if that looks good (18,000 A+/-5) then raise the count to 30 beats (2 full rotations of the escape wheel) and check again.

3.Repeat test 2 in at least three positions.

4. Switching to audio and LISTEN to the movement in all positions for strange rubbing, ringing and clanking sounds.

5. Put the movement on the test stand and run it for a few days.

6. Make any final adjustments and repeat steps 1-5.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Unfortunately Dave the free software that I found doesnt check the beats for beat error. You can raise the volume of the microphone and watch beats, the read lines are what its picking up. I think Windows users (I use Linux) may be able to find other applications that would do a better job for them. The drum machine is written in python so it can run from sources on Linux and has a Windows exe.

Picture of Benny Courtney
posted
Jim, Thank you for sharing your timing set-up. I am new to the world of pocket watches and just getting set-up. I followed your parts list and put together a timing setup with one change I purchased a stand from hobby lobby which raised my cost to $8.00, with out your post I would have gone a long time with out a timing device of any kind.

Posts: 14 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2013
Picture of Francesco Marco Maraschin
posted
There is an app on the app store that allows you to regulate your watch, its called Kello. I haven't got it yet but I found a video demonstrating how it works and it looks pretty neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzAujDzT8ao
Best Regards
Francesco

Posts: 226 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: November 19, 2012
IHC Member 1727
posted
Is this app only on iphone?

Posts: 134 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2012
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Wonder if it's for ipad?

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 1357
posted
Jim does the microphone have a USB connection for the computer? I am assuming you have to plug it into the computer.The ones I am seeing do not only a jack.
Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Roger, there should be an audio in jack on your computer, probably on the back, that will accept a standard 1/8 inch plug. I ordered a mic today from eBay, so I can give this a try.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 1357
posted
Gary,you are right.
Roger

posted
I found an app that works on an android device.
it cost .99 for the paid version.. I believe there was a 'lite' version for free...
it's kinda cool.. I've been messing with it for a little while...
it's called WildSpectra Mobile Pro ...

Posts: 90 | Location: South Texas in the USA | Registered: September 26, 2013
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Lou,
I found the link: https://play.google.com/store/...ctramobilelite&hl=en

There is a great demonstration here.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
I got the Android app. You have to play around with the settings to get it to work but after that it's pretty good. It's a big battery drainer though.

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
IHC Member 1357
posted
Old thread but finally got around to getting this
set up microphone etc. Downloaded Drum Count. Set the controls as per Jim (the originator of this thread) and it doesn't work for me. I am using Windows 10 on a PC. Anyone have any suggestions?

Roger