• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois pocket watch questions "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Looking for info on an Illinois pocket watch Marquis Autocrat 17 jewel ser #4903658, Keystone case #207 serial #6156529 I have that I carry on a daily basis.

This watch keeps great time and I had it about 15 years. It was passed down to me from my grandmother through a brother of my grandfather. My great uncle was the original owner, and I have the original box it came with and I beleive the chain as well. All information would be helpful and if possible a apprx $$ value would be great. I wear the watch on a regular basis and keeps the best time.

I really would love a second one just to prevent damage to a family keepsake

Posts: 3 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
John-
Welcome to IHC185!
Your watch was made in 1927, and is a 12-size, 3rd model, extra-thin movement, Grade 525. About 40,000 were made between 1923 and 1928, so it isn't rare, but a nice watch, nontheless. Can you provide photos and more info on the case and dial?

Posts: 218 | Location: Oak Harbor, Washington in the USA | Registered: May 21, 2009
posted
Bob,
would love to post a picture but I keep exceeding the file size limit. How do you all post such clear quality photos?

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
John,

These watches, as stated above, were made in great numbers. In the 1920's, your Illinois along with some other 12s watches made by leading US watch manufacturers were considered the best in the world. Even today they can be expected to perform as new with proper care and maintenance...just an occasional cleaning and possibly a new mainspring. Your Illinois Autocrat was designed and built to last hundreds of years...literally.

Welcome to IHC185!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
In you photo program. Click on [export] and see if it gives you the option to make smaller. If it does then put it into a folder which should be an option. 640 pixels works great. Then when you try to upload to IHC web site you go to that folder and click on the ones you want to post.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
^

Hello John and welcome to IHC185!

You have a very nice 12 size Marquis Autocrat made in about 1927. It is model # 3XT and has 17 ruby and sapphire jewels. It is adjusted for temperature, isochronism and 3 positions. There were a total of 40,401 made in 37 runs between 1923 and 1928. The reference I have shows it to be a private label made by Illinois. They made many private label watches primarily for jewelers. It is also shown to have been given a case at the factory. To tell if the case it is in now is the original, look at the movement and then the edge of the case next to the movement. If you do not see marks like where a screw may have pushed in to the edge, it means that most likely it is the original case.

The watch guide gives approximate values of $60 for average condition, $100 for extra fine and $185 for mint condition. Although your watch is priceless to you as it has passed down through your family. It is not a rare watch, but it not particularly common, either.

I am not very well versed about Illinois watches and whether you could find another like yours to use as a daily carry watch. Hopefully others will pitch in and can provide more information.

But keep looking! I hope this helps.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
All,
thanks for the great info. I will try to adjust the pix, in order to upload, when I get a chance.
Mary,
in regards to the case I have the original case. Its a good way to keep it safe when not wearing.
again thanks all