Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gold case question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Greetings again all.
Has anyone seen this case marking? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I don't see it in the Price Guide or online. It's on an 1895 Waltham that will be gone this evening and I'm trying to decide if it's worth bidding on. I see a 14 in a diamond shape and immediately start wondering if it really is a gold case. Once again, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
If this watch is on line being sold this is suppose to be in the pitfalls area.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Hi Ed,

My guess is that it is put there to make you think it is 14k gold. It could mean it is 14k gold filled, 14k solid gold or none of the above. I have seen and read where watch case companies would do all kinds of tricks trying to get people to buy their watch cases. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Thanks Harry.
That's what I was wondering about. I can't read the company stamp either so I'm wondering if somebody intentionally messed with it for that very reason. I kind of thought the 14 looked a little sketchy, but I just kind of wanted another opinion. Thanks for the thoughts!

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
IHC Member 1610
posted
Your welcome Edward!. In the price guide it gives some good advice, it says if you don't know if it is gold filled or solid gold always only pay for a gold filled watch. I have seen a lot of cases stamped 14 or 18 and the seller states is is 14K gold or 18K gold. He doesn't say solid 14k or solid 18k and he doesn't say 14k gold filled or 18k gold filled because he probably doesn't know so he is letting the buyer make the decision.

Harry

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
The color is not right.

I bought 2 - yes 2 unmarked gold cases this weekend.

The one the owner stated it was 14kt. And it was.

The other he said it was not gold.

He tested it with 10kt acid.
It was 7 kt.
So it looked like. Like it was gold filled to him.
I tryed him to tell him it was gold.
So I paid him $100 he was asking for it.
It was 7kt.

I agree with if Harry if in doubt. Pay gold filled.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
I purchased it quite inexpensively, so no money lost. If it happens to be gold, that's would be a huge bonus. I'm guessing it's filled or less, so at least it will be one more semi-fake off the street. And Eugene, I apologize. I darkened up the original picture to make it a little easier to see the markings. Here is the original picture and it does look a little better. And once again, thanks for the input.

posted
Well, the watch is in hand and I think I have my answer. Don't know what it is, but I think it's safe to say that it isn't 14K! I'd say this scratch and several others around the edge confirms that. When I finally got the magnifier out, the stamp under the 14 is P.W.CO. Now that I have it, the question becomes, what to do with it.
Anyway, just wanted to update things. Thanks for reading.

IHC Member 1610
posted
It appears to me from your pictures that it is gold filled and the thin layer of gold that they use might be 14k.

Harry