WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Will replacing this Illinois private label dial be good or bad "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 2267
posted
All,

I picked up a William Gibbons Illinois 117 RR grade only 220 made. I have a NOS case and hands.

I would like to know if replacing the private label porcelain dial with a mint Illinois dial will affect the value?

Best regards

RLVV

Posts: 178 | Location: Placentia, California in the USA | Registered: August 29, 2018
posted
My take would be to get some denture toothpaste and a soft bristle toothbrush and do an initial cleaning. Then get some polydent type tablets and soak the dial, sometimes if the hairlines are dirty I use some type of foaming cleaner for tubs and such.
Private label dials set the watch off from the typical look but in the end it is a judgement call. I see mostly hairlines but no chips or missing pieces.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1338
posted
Robert; If movement is mkd same as dial you should keep the dial. Like Claude said, I too think that dial should clean up pretty good. Show us a pic of the movement

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I agree with Tom, clean it and keep it!
I and others here have used Comet liquid/spray bottle type with great success.
I think you will be surprised with a cleaning!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 2267
posted
Here is a picture of the back and it has the private label name on it.

Best Regards

RLVV

Posts: 178 | Location: Placentia, California in the USA | Registered: August 29, 2018
IHC Member 1357
posted
Robert,clean the dial. I think you will be pleased.

Roger

Posts: 4088 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 2267
posted
I am going to clean the dial. Smile

Forgot to ask what type of hands would be correct for this movement?

Thanks for the great advice, and I will post pictures of it when it is finished.

Best regards
Robert

RLVV

posted
See how the current hands clean up, on PL fancy types moon hands were not unusual and look at some photos and see what the proper second hands his, I would think a thin, non bold type.Below is an example of a Getty type.

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/84...155386a6f_84347b.jpg

IHC Member 1338
posted
Keep those moon hands on Robert. They were probably original as Claude says. That second hand he showed you will work About anything except a bunn type with the spear that wouldn't be correct

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 2267
posted
Well this is what it looks like so far. I think I need to get the liquid Comet and soak it in that.

Thanks everyone for all of your help.

RLVV

IHC Member 2267
posted
All,

What case should I use the one on the left or the NOS on the right?

Best regards

RLVV

IHC Member 2267
posted
The back

RLVV

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Dial looks good!
I'd use the one on the left, FWIW.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
I agree with Dave the longer pendant is more time correct and how can you go wrong with a choo choo on the back

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I agree with all the advice you have gotten so far on the watch. All good sound advice from my point of view.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
What you have is a grade 177.
Very rare great find. I agree with the other members.
I added it to the 177 grade data base in the Illinois section.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Member 2267
posted
All,

This is the best place and thanks for all of your advice. I will post pictures of it once it is all put back together.

Best regards

RLVV

posted
Could you post a couple of more "before and after" pictures of the dial after cleaning? It looks like it is really improved.
I have a couple of older Elgin porcelains that need cleaning, and I'm looking for what is considered the "Best" method that has the least potential for damage.

Robert Miller
Senior Paint Engineer
Toyota Manufacturing North America

Posts: 15 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi in the USA | Registered: November 12, 2018
posted
great job Robert ! I did a search on this site and there are a dozen pages on dial cleaning , the comet seems like the best

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 2267
posted
Hello Robert D,

B4

RLVV

IHC Member 2267
posted
After

RLVV

IHC Member 2267
posted
Finished

RLVV

fin1

IHC Member 2267
posted
Back

RLVV

fin2

IHC Member 665
posted
Robert, you really have done the right thing by that beautiful watch. Congratulations and thank you for showing.

Posts: 209 | Location: East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: December 31, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Robert,

John said it well, you did it right and SAVED a very worthwhile example.

Truly a NICE combination!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 2267
posted
Thanks Lindell and John.

I love this forum.

RLVV