Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Sangamo 23J yom:1926 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 2149
posted
I have recently acquired this 23J Sangamo. The s/n puts it's YOM to 1926. Anyone familiar with the watch will recogni2e that it is 17S. The factory case with the fixed bow is hinged front and back with a dust cover. The case is a Wadsworth. The case is marked inside the rear cover and inside the dust cover "WADSWORTH QUALITY, GOLD FILLED. In between the Wadsworth name and Quality, I believe it should read "14KT".
On both covers, it appears someone with some obvious skills, has obliterated the "KT" marking with what appear to be a series of engraved dots.
At least it appears to me that way looking at it closely with good magnifying glass. Anyone care to surmise why this would be like this? The case appears to be marked correctly and is in very decent condition otherwise. Thanks for your time and attention.........Joe........

(In anticipation for a request for photos, I am not in position to provide any at this time).

Posts: 71 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: June 14, 2016
posted
We really need some pictures .Just a guess , maybe they did a gold test , some really nice case's are damaged by an amateur gold test.If you have to look that hard it might not harm it's value too bad ,after all it is 100 yrs old almost

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 2149
posted
Thanks for the response Kevin. I noticed after I posted that I may not have made it clear that what I believe should be "14 KT" has been obscured, not just the "KT".
I can't imagine why anyone conducting a gold test would obliterate the markings that confirm what it is. Additionally, I wouldn't think they would have to test both covers,
...........TKS...........Joe..........

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
People do/did some weird things to these collectibles through the years. What you describe is one of those things. Why you might ask ? Because they don't have the knowledge that many other people have that say it should be left that way !! We know that the way it comes from the factory is how we want to see and buy completed watches. Obliterating factory stampings deduct from the appeal and value of the watch.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 2149
posted
Thanks for the reply Buster. After I posted this, I just happened to be looking at another watch that I acquired about 4 years ago. I collect RRG PWs, especially ones with 24 hour dials. I was even newer to the hobby then than I am now, and never reali2ed at the time that the same thing had been done to the case on a 992B Hamilton. The Hamilton is in a KEYSTONE - VICTORY case, and the "GOLD FILLED" and "KT" count have been obliterated in the same manner. I tried to see if there had been any discussion here about this during previous threads but came up empty. I may start a new discussion with this as the topic to see if others can offer satisfactory explanation.
........TKS........Joe.......

IHC Member 1338
posted
I have seen more than one case with the "gold filled" obliterated and leaving the 14K or 14 karat intact. My "guess" is a lot of this went on in the late 1970s when gold took that big jump people trying to pass some off as solid gold.

As far as why did they do that? WTH knows...back in the 1950s - 1960s these really didnt have much value so people pretty much did what they wanted with them is my guess there

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Just a thought , you said it looked like engraved "dots", I might stretch it to say they took a dent out ? If your having trouble shrinking the pics email them to me and I will post them . A while back I bought a couple watches that had the weirdest dents , they puzzled me for a while , until I was able to duplicate them with a hollow punch , I think they tried to remove a dent and ended up with a "stamping "that a pro can't remove !

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
As said I have seen many cases ruined by someone taking a metal punch to try and pop out a dent in a case back. Metal on Metal never works as it will always leave an impression on the case. You must use wood to remove dents on cases !!!

regards,
bb

IHC Member 2149
posted
TKS again for the observations.
I hadn't thought about the dent removal supposition, but in these particular situations, I can't imagine a dent would be confined to just the area of the GF engraving. I very much appreciate the input, but don't think we have collectively come up with a reason that I can comfortably accept.
.............TKS ........Joe........

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
quote:
(In anticipation for a request for photos, I am not in position to provide any at this time).

quote:
(I very much appreciate the input, but don't think we have collectively come up with a reason that I can comfortably accept).

So that's the best we can do without a picture.....

regards,
bb