Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Equity Waltham Questions... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 2264
posted
Ok, so I have read a lot of posts about Equity (Waltham) pocket watches and there seems to be a lot of opinions.
Here's the thing : Are they worth having as an everyday watch or would you steer clear ?
I have a RR class Waltham Vanguard that keeps superb time and I wear when I like to dress well.
I also have a 645 which also keeps great time and I wear it a lot.
But I also like to wear pocket watches on a daily basis for work .... Would an Equity be better for daily work wear ?
Regards ..... Gary.

Posts: 31 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: August 12, 2018
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Gary,

You have two of the best Walthams, their Vanguard was a high-grade, superlative timekeeper. And again, the Waltham 645 is another high-grade no-nonsense Railroad Man's Watch, among of the best ever made. The Waltham Equity was a "Department Store" type of watch, priced low to compete with other low-priced offerings. They even went with an odd-size case that is marked "Equity" and could not even properly fit their standard 16-size movements.

Some others may disagree with this, but unless you are striving to collect one of every Waltham Grade (and clearly that is not your desire) then I can see no real reason to go with it. I have an extensive collection with a lot of Walthams but in 16 and 18-size they are all Railroad Grade Watches because that is the focus of my collection. Like me, I doubt you would be proud to carry and show-off a lesser watch, so you should go with something of quality.

Consider another high-grade Waltham Railroad Watch for your "daily-carry" choice. One thought would be a Crescent Street Waltham in a Nickel / Base-Metal case. My impression is you are leaning toward collecting Railroad Grade Walthams, if that is correct then focus narrowly on the high-grades. Years ago I came up with his phrase as advice...

"Buy the best, step away from the rest."

That is the way I built my collection and urge you to do likewise.

Anyhow, that is my opinion, let's see what others say.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 2264
posted
Thanks Lindell,
I like your style.
You are correct about my choice of watches and I do have a preference for Waltham's although I don't know why.And you're right when you say that I'm not trying to collect all grades of Waltham.
However, I have seen an Equity that I do like and it would probably be good for an everyday wear, and it's a good price.
However I have, tonight, replaced the mainspring in my 645 that had expired. If it's still running in the morning then I'll make it my daily wear again so will not buy the Equity. My 645 is the first watch I've ever worked on so here's hoping.
Regards .... Gary.

Posts: 31 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: August 12, 2018
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Gary I agree with Lindell with the exception I collect RR and non RRG watches. Why because to me some of the non RRG watches are far more interesting to me than the RRG watches so I collect both.

As for the Equity I would pass on it. You can get a much nicer non RRG carry watch for the same money. I am assuming you collect RRG and Non RRG since you are considering the Equity. Like Lindell said the Equity was made to compete with the lower grade watches and with it being an odd 16s watch it may be hard to get parts for in the future (just guessing).

However saying all that if you like it then buy it and carry it. It is your collection and only you can make that decision.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Equity's are so good, Waltham didn't even put their name on them.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Brian are you saying Equity's are so good or are you saying Equity's are no good? I think may have a typo but I could be wrong.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Gary, I'm going to be the odd man out. As a mechanic who shattered the crystal in his pocket on a Hampden Menlo Park, and dented the back case in breaking the balance staff on a G.M. Wheeler I'd carry an Equity to protect my good watches from abuse! If you're using it as a timepiece & not a showpiece and it keeps good time there's nothing wrong with it. I carry because a wristwatch gets in my way, and several years ago I saw firsthand what a Speidel Twistoflex band will do to your wrist when you short out an electrical connection. Not pretty!

Posts: 42 | Location: Columbiana, Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2018
IHC Member 2264
posted
My thanks to all of you.
I'll leave the Equity for the moment.
I've fitted the new mainspring to my 645 and it's been running all day. It is gaining about 2 minutes an hour at the moment though... Something else to look into.
Regards .... Gary.

Picture of Mark Clark
posted
Everyone to their own ways...
I’ve been carrying a Hamilton 912 as of late, it keeps great time, very nice Roman Numeral Dial, chained to a bar under my seat of my wheelchair and rests in a bag near same location. Chain is just long enough to grab and read the watch, short enough to keep it off the ground if dropped.
I wind it every morning, but it will last almost 30 hrs. Not RRG, but WCG!! (Wheelchair Grade)! Big Grin

Posts: 404 | Location: Austin, Texas USA | Registered: October 01, 2013
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Mark,

I love your new terminology "WCG" Cool !

Posts: 5207 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Debbie, maybe you should put WCG in the Help Update The Complete Guide to Watches? Smile

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted
Big Grin

Posts: 5207 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 2030
posted
Mark is a great guy from party town USA

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015