WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 16 size 24 hour dials - Canadian or Ordinance? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
What is the correct description of each? saw one on ebay recently with the small red 24 hr numbers called Canadian - Which I thought was for use by US Military Railroads or Ordinance, etc and all black was for Canadian. Thanks, Jack Williams

Posts: 16 | Location: Antioch, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: January 08, 2017
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Tough question, that's why no one has jumped on it, but I will give it a shot.

The majority of the Hamilton 992B's with the 24 hour dials that we assume to be "original", had the red 24 hour numbers.

It's very hard to say what's what after all this time and with all the swapping that has occurred over the years. All we can prove today is box sets and watch ads.

During WWII there were dial shortages and problems and we see things then that weren't usually seen. Hamilton shipped 992B's to Canada also in 1945 with 24 hour dials on them. We had the nations military and the nations RR's that had a real needed use for these watches during the War and supplies were short.

Do a search for "Hamilton 24 hour dials" (Find-Or-Search tab upper left on main page) and you will find enough research and study to last the night !

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...milton+24+Hour+Dials

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Good points as always Buster!

Below, a 992B movement in a Canadian Market Fortune "Sturdy" model case. My experience tells me the lines were blurry as to colors on numerals. That is a time-frame when the demand was so high they shipped whatever could be assembled and shipped!

Dies from Hamilton Model 7 case later used in Canada...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Deep blue early 992B hands with super wide-chapter dial...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Buster and Lindell - Thanks to both for your answers, excellent pictures and reference to more research - Jack

Posts: 16 | Location: Antioch, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: January 08, 2017