Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Correct dial for a Hamilton Grade 952 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1555
posted
I have a 952 Grade from 1922, just wondering what dial it should have. I was always under the impression that it should have a script signed dial, but this one is fitted with a #519. I thought the #519 would be to late for that year, was it available in 1922, any thoughts???

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1357
posted
Bila, I think it is correct. Hamilton started the
change over about 1918 from cursive to block. So to
me it appears correct.

Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks RogerSmile

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Looks like a early #519 (577-A) with the thicker minute markers. They thinned them down as the dial progressed. I would say late 20's or early 30's.

The later 20's are when these dials were first seen.

The script signature dials were phased out about 1918 as Roger told us. They were still being used/phased out till about 1924, by all accounts.

I picture the predecessor of the No. 519 dial as shown from Hamilton's 1929 Catalog.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Buster, the reason I ask is that it is on a 1922 approximate movement judging by the Gelson list and actual come from the collection of J F Gelson which was being auctioned by a reputable Auction House that had a few lots of his stuff.

Would it be possible that this is the correct dial, maybe sold much later after being produced, definitely in his list as a 1922-23 production, listed as a 952P for pendant set, but actually is lever set?

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Hi Bila,
I have no idea if that dial was used on a 952 or not. I have never seen a 952 with that dial but I have only seen a half dozen 952's. It is not the same dial as on mine. However the block letters are correct for 1922. Hamilton often finished movements and sold them much later as you know with my fully marked 939. My 939 was made in 1900 - 1903 and sold in 1917 so it has the dial that is appropriate for 1917.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Bila,

The advice from Buster, Harry and Roger is correct, the "Block-Letters" Hamilton Signature was phased-in beginning during 1918 and in fact the "Blind-Mans Numerical Dial" is shown with Block-Letters Signature in 1918 advertising. Depending on the dial design, Hamilton Script-Signaure dials were gone by the early 1920s and not seen after that.

The dial design Buster shared above would be "period-correct" for your 1922 era 952 and was one of the "available" dials of choice through the 1920s and 1930s time-frame. Buster is right the minutes markers and hash-marks narrowed a bit toward the end. (Parenthetically, there was even a very uncommon, unusual version with outward-pointing arrows circa-1937 that was used with both Hamilton and Illinois Signatures.)

Bottom-line, the dial you showed above would be fine and if you should need a dial for your 952 there are some extras in my dial collection, let me know.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Harry for your thoughts mate, for some reason just looked strange as the larger percentage I have seen are script dials on theseSmile

IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Lindell for your thoughts as well, I was hoping you would share them on this subject dial. It always amazes me on the subtle changes that you, Buster and others have noticed over the years on some of these production tweaks. I don't play with that many Hamilton's in the 16 Sizes so it is good to get some advice, much appreciatedSmile

IHC Member 1555
posted
On another dial Lindell, I will probably leave this one as it is seeing it is on one of John Gelson's watches. I will keep the offer in mind as I have a couple of others here that I still have to dig out so could possibly be in need of another or two.