• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Robert Scot Information Wanted "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am doing research on Robert Scot, who was chief engraver for the United States Mint 1793-1823. Scot was born in Ediburgh, Scotland in 1745, immigrated to America by 1778, and did some medal and currency engraving for Thomas Jefferson in Virginia during 1778-1781.

It has been reported that Scot attended the University of Edinburgh, but left to become a watchmaker. I cannot find any source documents to verify this information.

Does anyone have information from horological records that document Robert Scot working as a watchmaker? This could have been as an engraver of cases, although he is simply listed as a former "watchmaker" in several publications. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you

Posts: 3 | Location: Washington State in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
William

I can not access an on-line copy of this book "Directory of Scottish Settlers in North America, 1625-1825" but on page 181 it is suppose to have a Robert Scott as a watchmaker in Virginia & on the same page Robert Scot born in Edinburgh 10/2/1745. Since I can't seen the book I do not know if these are two different Robert Scot's, since it shows one with 2 T's & 1 with one.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
William,
Tom is correct, however, as he says, One is Robert Scott and the other is Robert Scot.
Directory of Scottish Settlers in North America 1625-1825 Vol 2

This is how they are listed

Scot Robert
Born in Edinburgh on Oct. 2, 1745. Emigrated from Scotland to Va. Married Eunice Beal in 1783. Mathematician and Engraver. Died in Philadelphia Pennsykvania on 3 November 1823.

Scott Robert
Watchmaker in Virginia. Son of George Scott in North Leith, formerly a baker in Edinburgh, 1779. (Retours) (SG)

I have other information and will send it on to you tomorrow. Need to check them out.

Sheila

Robert Scot

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Tom and Sheila,

Thank you for the information. Robert Scot is spelled with one T in US Mint archival records, and on his signature for encyclopedia engravings.

Scot reportedly served as an engraving apprentice to Sir Robert Strange, the "Father of British Line Engraving" before immigrating to the US. He arrived in Philadelphia in May of 1781, establishing an engraving business there. Scot engraved many of the plates for Dobson's Encyclopædia starting in 1789.

It is possible that his reported watchmaking experience was confused with Robert Scott.

Regards,

William

Posts: 3 | Location: Washington State in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2008