WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    what are most common crystal sizes for Hamilton and Illinois 16s RR cases?
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

what are most common crystal sizes for Hamilton and Illinois 16s RR cases? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I would like to order a few spare crystals like the 1.5 mm mi-concave type made by Whites Crystal Mfg and am asking what would be the most common sizes to have on hand for 16sz Hamilton 992B, 950B and 16sz Illinois Bunn Specials? Thanks Jack Williams

Posts: 16 | Location: Antioch, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: January 08, 2017
Picture of Clark Reed
posted
Jack - The 43.3mm = 19 3/16 . . . and the 43.4mm = 19 4/16 are the two most common and also the 43.1mm = 19 2/16 is sometimes right - these are the sizes I have found fit mine.

Clark Reed

Posts: 531 | Location: Anderson, South Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 09, 2013
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
43.1 to 43.4 depending on case .

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Jack,

43.3, 43.4, 43.5 are very common with many factory Hamilton cases. These sizes never go unused if you collect or repair these RR's.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Elize, It really is according to what cases you are going to fit them to. I have all the way from 43.0 mm to 43.9 mm and have used them all. I have seen a Model 11 case take two to three different sizes for instance.

That is one of the reasons I use William's crystals. Other than the fact that he uses the best glass, and his measurements are right on, he also will do them in the .1 mm increments, where a lot of the manufacturers will not. Meaning they might do 43.0 mm, 43.2 mm 43.4mm, but THEY WILL NOT DO the 43.1, or the 43.3, and so on.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Jack, Larry,

I will also size any of my crystals to within 0.02mm increments if requested.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
That's good to know William, Thanks!

Elzie, here is an example of what I mean about being able to get the crystals from William in the 1 mm increments. I just did a Hamilton Model #11 case tonight. I could have used a 43.5 mm crystal, but because I had the 43.6 crystal, I was able to put the crystal in the freezer, and put the bezel on a light bulb, and within five minutes I had my crystal in the bezel without using any glue at all.

Also notice it is a 43.6 mm. You really have to go up a little higher to at least the 43.6. I got that advise from William a few years ago, and it has served me well.

Regards.
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
posted
Larry, Thank you! That is very interesting and good information to have. I'll be placing an order with William soon and try it next time I need to install one.

Posts: 16 | Location: Antioch, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: January 08, 2017
IHC Life Member
posted
Yes Sir. Just be sure to use some kind of cloves when you do it cause that bezel is HOT!! Frown

Also a good thing to remember is that the crystal has to be the size that your measurement is on the bezel when you mesure it. If the crystal feels like it will fit but "not quite" that is when you can just put the crystal in the freezer, and the bezel on the light bulb. Just be quick about it when you take the crystal out of the freezer. You take the crystal to the bezel, as the bezel will shrink FAST as it is cooling. so you have to be quick about it. It will really be a tight fit once the bezel has cooled. I actually had a crystal crack one time when it cooled, it was so tight.

William, I got my order yesterday. Just in time for a job I was finishing up too! Smile Thanks!!

Regards,
Larry

IHC Member 1959
posted
Larry your tips on refurbishing and fixing watches are absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing them. Im so selfish I hope you do a whole post someday. Lightbulb and freezer brilliant! Thanks again JMF

Posts: 340 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: June 28, 2014
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Jonathan. I really enjoy it, and like helping other people as I learn. In fact I don't know if you have seen it, but I did do a post on how to tighten bows here. Hope it's ok to show it here in this post. I don't mean to take away from your question Elzie.

Bow tightening plyers and how to use them

Many people have found this helpful also.

Regards,
Larry

posted
No problem at all, Larry. That is excellent info on bows. I have two #6 cases with loose bows that I can't seem to get tight. My pliers are a little different from yours, but I probably have not been using them correctly so I'll definitely try your method! Thanks

Jack

IHC Life Member
posted
If you have a problem and need help with them just let me know, and I can do them for you.

Regards,
Larry

posted
Thanks, Larry. I'll definitely get w/you on this. Do you mind giving me an email address for a PM? Jack

IHC Life Member
posted
larrylamphier@aol.com