• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rock Island RR Promo Item, original? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Rock Island Vesta box promotional item, original or a reproduction?
The dimensions are - 2 3/16" x 1 3//8" x 3/8" tin box and I think with celluloid advertising panel.
On the side is written - The Whitehead & Hoag Co. Newark N.J.

Posts: 535 | Location: Innisfil in Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 04, 2014
posted
other side

Posts: 535 | Location: Innisfil in Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 04, 2014
posted
side

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I would say its original. A great piece.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I agree with Buster, original and an excellent find.

You learn something every day. Vesta = The goddess Vesta, Roman diety of fire and the hearth. Vesta Case

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
Hello Buster and Lorne, thanks for your opinion. It is in very good condition which made me wonder about originality. I did read that the Whitehead & Hoag Co. closed business about 1965, this piece just may be a survivor.

Regards
Rick

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Original.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member 2030
posted
Wonder what was in the box. Perhaps complementary soap?

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
Mike, the matches were in the box. I don't think they are original but are cut to fit the box.

Rick

IHC Member 2030
posted
Very good!
Makes perfect sense. Where is my cigar?

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
Picture of Brian C.
posted
These were called match safes. Here's one I have advertising the Waltham Horological School

scan0023

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Hello Brian, that's a very nice one. I do like these items with the advertising.

Rick

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Thanks Rick.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
They're really nice items, and usually VERY expensive when found at antique stores or shows (at least when I find them).

Last one I saw that was watch related had an advertisment for a jeweler who sold Hampden watches, but they were asking $225 for the thing! Eek

Needless to say, it was left where I found it. Roll Eyes

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Hello Mark, I get the expensive part, the asking price on this one wasn't that bad but so I made an offer I could live with and not offend the vendor. He said he had it in his collection for awhile and it was time for it to move on. So all was well.

Rick

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
WELL done! Smile

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 2267
posted
Very Nice find!

RLVV

Posts: 178 | Location: Placentia, California in the USA | Registered: August 29, 2018
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I like it, Thanks for sharing.

Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Robert/Gary, thank you and you're welcome.

An "amuse bouche"- a small appetizer or more loosely translated - a small delight.
Some times it's just the small things in life that amuse us the most.

Regards
Rick

posted
That is a special find , I keep an eye out for them , I find them called vesta's, with nice silver one's bringing 200 +

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
I've had these for a number of years now both are hallmarked and are sterling sliver, the smaller one is dated 1907 and made in Birmingham UK

posted
Hi Rick , That is what I was talking about ! The silver one's are plentiful , the rock island is rare

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015