• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Two nice Elgins for the collection "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I picked up a 18s Elgin grade 149 20 jewel and a grade 246 Lace Doiley.

Posts: 1792 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
More case shots

posted
149 movement

posted
246 movement

posted
149 old style script dial

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
The Doily is a dilly.

These and the Hampden have particularly nice cases.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
The 246 is a 25 year case and the 149 is a coin silver case, which was quite cheap because it looked all dirty and the look of crud. You would think that some people would take 15mins to clean them and make about 2x as much. The Hampden was a $165 watch, beautiful non brassed case, one small ding if you look hard, nice dial and nice movement.

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Claude,

Both watches are great examples of the beautiful movement decorating done at the Elgin factory. There were many other fancy top shelf movements being made during this time, but the high grade Elgin is a very special thing to look upon!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Well done Claude, those are beauties!

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
LOVE that 149, Claude! By the way, where in the heck have you been hiding?

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
I was over in the Netherlands for 2 months the last part of 2016 and this year I have been trying to catch up for being over there for 2 months. I have picked up a few watches lately but the prices seem to be all over the place.

And yes the 149 is a beaut, it looks good in the coin silver case and that case has nice tight unsprung hinges. You don't see that dial that often so I now have a 20j 150 with that dial and a 20j 149.

On the 246 I did recase it, it was in a beat up old silveroid case and they did not take the back off so in the ebay auction it had a picture of the case back and the dial and everybody passed it by. I saw moon hands and a double sunk dial and figured I would roll the dice and wing it. The 246 is the least common of the doileys, I need to put a crystal on it but other than that it is good.