Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

992B in an NOS Star Case "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
I know this isn't a Hamilton case, it kind of resembles the model 12 or 15, thought i'd put it on this 992B and it came out looking pretty good!
Any opinions as to what you see?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1338
posted
Back

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1338
posted
Mvmt

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Picture of Clark Reed
posted
Tom - It sure has a lot of eye-appeal, and is quite rugged looking in that Star case. Nice Job. Great Case - Great Dial - Great movement.... I believe you have a sweetheart . . .

Clark Reed

Posts: 531 | Location: Anderson, South Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 09, 2013
IHC Member 1338
posted
Thanks Clark! The case it was in was SHOT and we all know what a replacement case in good shape will run, so thought I'd give this a try. I've sold BW Raymonds and others in this case so figured why not a 992B? Thanks for your input!

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

posted
It is definitely one of the better options

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I remember being asked my opinion... "What would be a good pocket watch to carry every day?"

At that time nice (10 to 20 years ago) cases were still plentiful so I would always recommend a 992B (parts then and now are easy to find and service is simple) in a Stainless Steel Case 15 (they were everywhere) and fronting an S. LaRose dial which was a bargain at something like $35.00 (those were a great buy!) to avoid risking a melamine, some were already beginning to crack and the LaRose replacement dial was a low priced alternative.

I remember saying... "With that combination you can carry it every day for the rest of your life and one day your grandchildren will fight over it."

Tom, what you assembled makes sense. You will describe it honestly and it looks just enough different from a Hamilton/Star Case 15 that nobody is likely to be fooled in the future.

A logical watch of brute strength that will last a lifetime.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1338
posted
Thanks, Lin!

As Clark said it has eye appeal
and that to me is very important especially on my website. I too have sold a few using that larose dial in the past and never had one complaint, actually people were very happy with them.

I was actually looking for a NICE replacement case for this, and was not surprised to see them fetching $185 and up on the bay. This Star case option lets me price it still in an affordable range and someone will get a great carrying watch they can be proud of. Star made some quality cases and this one looks to be no exception.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

posted
Very, very nice. Many years ago, a 992b was my watch of choice when I did a stint working for the Grand Trunk Western RR in Detroit.

Posts: 31 | Location: Mt. Pleasant, Michigan in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2016
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Tom,

Speaking from experience, the 992b is a venerable carry watch (I have one, nice and warm in my pocket right now). The case you've selected for the movement is fitting and proper. Might I suggest one of my fine 1.75mm convex beveled Schott Borofloat crystals as a final touch? .....No pressure! Smile

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008