Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Do you avoid engraved case watches? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Although I would prefer not engraved I certainly purchase engraved watches. I check to make sure the case does not have another set of case screw marks unless I just have to have that case or movement.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
I have this watch in my collection and consider the engraving of far more interest than the watch.

It states:- 'A small token and mark of merit to Mr. John McDonald'
This is above the engraving of the ship of the line, below this is Mermaid July 1794.

Below this it is engraved:- 'Carpenter of His Majesties Ship

Posts: 134 | Location: Blackpool, England | Registered: February 04, 2010
posted
Peter, absolutely stunning watch!
Paul

Posts: 317 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2009
posted
I don't mind engraving on watches. I believe it adds character to the watch. Here is a Dennison, Howard and Davis that is actually a very early private label. It says " Made for W.N. Manning, Rockport Mass". He was a Jeweler in Rockport Mass in the mid 19th century.
Paul

Posts: 317 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2009
posted
I have some with engravings, but I prefer to buy clean ones. Also on average the initialed ones normally go for a little less. At least that's been my experience.

It is what it is!

Posts: 54 | Location: Rolesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2017
Picture of George Ulrich
posted
Unengraved are nice but not necessarily a deal breaker

Posts: 119 | Location: Alton, Illinois in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2013
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Many many of the high grade and/or Gold watches were presented or given as a token of love/appreciation and therefore a lot of them will be engraved with initials or a presentation.

Many of the ones with initials that we can hardly make out today are very beautifully and artistically intertwined and are a piece of engraving art. Then to if the person was a famous part of history or a prominent renowned person or military, civil service person I have found they can add a substantial value to the watch. Imagine a watch presented to a General, a Sheriff, or even a President ! If they were famous/infamous they could add $$$$ to the watch.

Collectors are divided on this and always have been and always will be and here at IHC185 we have discussed this several times before.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
I generally avoid these cases I just don't prefer them & it's too exspensive to fix also devalues the watch in my humble opinion

Posts: 13 | Location: Bullhead City, Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 01, 2019