Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Do you avoid engraved case watches? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently was scanning ebay and picked up an Elgin BWR 571 in very good condition, near mint case (still had butler lines and no wear) but was engraved at a price just over $200. I have in the past picked up Elgins, Hamiltons, Hampdens, etc with engraved cases much cheaper than non-engraved watches of the same type and condition.

Do you as a collector avoid them? Some are retirement presentation type engraving, some are parents to children or children to parent messages but as a whole no matter how well the engraving is done it drops the value.

One Elgin 478 in a streamline case that looked new I got dirt cheap because it was engraved
Joe Bob Jones (not real name)
born July xx, xxxx after passing, someone added
died Sept xx xxxx

The fact they added when he died in professional lettering is a bit odd but the watch looks new and was just over $125. I don't mind engraving if it looks clean and professional but I do notice engraved watches appear to go for less.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
I don't avoid them and I have a couple. I see if I can find any information about the person which adds to the watch.

Posts: 33 | Location: Cincinnati Area, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2015
posted
I avoid them unless it's a watch or case I really want and the price is right.

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I don't avoid them either, but I buy them with the knowledge that I probably won't be able to resell them, or will at least have problems should I ever decide to attempt resale due to the engraving.

Good to see you active again, Clyde! I've missed your Elgin related posts! Smile

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1357
posted
I don't avoid them but if offered 2 watches of same quality,one engraved the other not,I would choose the unengraved one.

Roger

Posts: 4088 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
Busy year with work and now traveling more that I did when I was in Georgia. Was in the Netherlands for 8 weeks this year during the summer so that killed all the warm weather, now that it is cold again I have time to settle down and get back to watches.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert Lee Milliron
posted
I don't buy engraved watches.

Posts: 663 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: June 01, 2005
posted
For me, in wristwatches, it depends on the engraving.

I have had a few bad ones buffed. On the other hand, some personal engravings add value -- Eatons 1/4 Century Club Rolexes, for example.

I recall a garden variety old Longines windup that sold at auction for over $100,000. Name on the back? "Albert Einstein".

I'm curious about military pocket watches where a soldier has carved their name into the back. Does that add or subtract?

Thanks.

Posts: 124 | Location: Ottawa in Canada | Registered: December 21, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
The antipathy to engraving surely must depend on the kind of watch one collects.

I almost solely collect high grade solid gold or platinum watches. I think those kinds of watches were more likely to have engraved inscriptions because they were more likely to have been gifts than work-a-day watches such as railroad watches. Furthermore, the watches I collect were made in small quantities with a wide variety of cases and dials. I rarely see identically cased and dialed examples. Hence, if I only bought unengraved watches, I would have to pass on a large number of otherwise desirable watches and would never be able to find unengraved counterparts. For example: All four of my solid gold 21j Elgin convertibles are engraved. Two of my three solid gold Model 1872 AWCO Grade watches are engraved. Both of my solid gold Model 1888 AWCO Grade watches are engraved. These all are scarce watches that aren't readily available, and unengraved examples of them are scarcer yet.

If, in contrast, I collected Hamilton 992Bs or other relatively common railroad watches, I likely would have reasonable opportunities for getting the same watch, case, and dial in varying degrees of condition, with or without engraving. I can readily see why pristine unengraved examples of such relatively fungible watches would command a premium.

Finally, I think high-quality engraving adds significantly to a watch's "story" if not its value. Of course, some engraving is terrible. I won't buy a crudely engraved watch.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Member 1110
posted
I agree with Ethan on watches that have nasty looking crudely done engraving, I've seen some otherwise nice cases that someone ruined by trying to engrave them themselves.I don't mind nice looking monograms, especially those real ornate scroll ones that are hard to figure out, many look more like a design than anything.I don't like presentation engravings, though.Nice to have you back Claude!...Ted.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I thought I'd show you the engravings or other personalizations on some of my watches, all of which I think add value to the watch.

Let's start with this enameled monogram on the back of an ultra-thin platinum Cartier. The initials are of the pre-eminent builder of skyscrapers in NY during the roaring '20s. He was ruined by the Great Depression.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here is the incised and enameled monogram on an 18k Poitevin minute repeater.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here's the fancy monogram on an 18k Jeannot & Shiebler-cased Patek Philippe.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Would this 14k Dueber case housing an Elgin 21j convertible look better without the monogram?

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Doesn't this inscription on an 18k Charles Frodsham add value, indicating that this watch was presented to the speaker of the State of Nevada's first legislative assembly? The cuvette is engraved "1865."

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Would you rather have this 14k Elgin C.H. Hulburd with a unmonogrammed back?

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
In 1943, Cy gave his friend George a 14k watch/master hotel key when he hired George to run the hotel.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
The next year, George returned the favor, giving Cy this inscribed Patek Philippe.

posted
Ethan I have an Elgin that has an inscribed dustcover that ran through a few generations. The original person that it was presented to was part of Tenn's early government and then his son and what appears to be the grandson had the watch and had it inscribed. The original person was fairly famous from TN's early history. I pass on chicken scratch types but I have some that you know the people cared about each other and that it was a special gift.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I've owned or come across some really mint pieces over the years that were engraved gifts that appear to have never been carried. One has to wonder if the gifts were either not appreciated (which one can't really believe), or the owner thought the watch too nice to carry....which COMPLETELY negates the whole reason for the gift! Roll Eyes

I've always thought that sad. Frown

Just my opinion, though. Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
The BWR571 that I recently purchased is from Mark's neck of the woods. Engraved on the back

To
S. M. Jackson
From
K-25 Utilities

Very well done lettering, K-25 was the code name for the Oak Ridge Nuclear plant as part of the Manhattan project which supplied the early bombs.

The utilities consisted of a water and power plant producing electricity and supplying water for the production of nuclear material. The power plant produced electricity at a different hertz than the typical 60hz house current. Since I was born north of Oak Ridge I thought it would be an interesting pickup with some history to it.

I tried to do some searches for S M Jackson but did not find anything that I could say, it was a logical hit.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Interesting inscription, Claude.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I worked at the Goodyear Atomic Corporation Uranium Enrichment plant (GAT) in Piketon, Ohio for 13 years, (my Dad retired from there), which was the sister plant to K25.

I have Dad's 25th anniversary 218 Accutron from Goodyear, also engraved, with his name and date at GAT.

Regards! Mark

posted
That is why I bought it, because of the inscription and the history behind it. It is also why I wondered if people avoid inscriptions since cleaned up this watch only has a few sock drawer micro-scratching, nice like new tight bow, runs but I have not checked it for accuracy. Have 260 into it but that is not a bad price in the current market.

posted
The engraving on this Omega Labrador demi-hunter is similar to Ethan's watch engraving.

Posts: 784 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Clyde, my Dad used his. That's how I got his 1943 Lipton 'back in the day'. Wink

Regard! Mark

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Ernest, pretty engraving!

posted
I will have to take some pictures of the ones I have picked up over the years. I have a Elgin 574 that still has its pouch and original box that a daughter gave to her father "with love" in 1951. Another from a city that I think is in Alabama or Maine that was given to him for 50 yrs of service, I am thinking if he started at 18 that would have been retiring at 68 or starting at 15 and retiring at 65 but 50 years with the same company or job would be unheard of now.

Some have the initials that even after a few shots of JD I still can't figure out what they are. But probably the best one I have is an Elgin 361 with a very detailed engraving of a steam locomotive on the back.

IHC Member 2030
posted
Fun topic
Ingravings are difficult to see, don't know why?

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
I apologize for resurrecting an old thread but since it was relevant I thought it was better than starting a new one.

What's the general view of the pocket watch collecting community with regards to removing engravings from watches? Is it not done because it's sacrilegious? Because the results aren't good? I read somewhere that with laser fill techniques it's possible to cover up the engraving but somehow that seems like destroying history.

It makes me just prefer to avoid engraved watches altogether but it does cut down on collecting options. A bunch of times now I've seen a watch and thought "wow... that's amazing... oh ****... it's engraved. Next."

Posts: 3 | Location: Toronto in Canada | Registered: November 19, 2018
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Hello Garfield,

You did the right thing by posting in a previous discussion. We like to keep everything in one topic rather than diverging topics.

Thank you,

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5206 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
As I said earlier in this thread, I believe that the "antipathy to engraving surely must depend on the kind of watch one collects."

High grade, solid gold or platinum watches were more likely to have engraved inscriptions because they were more likely to have been gifts than work-a-day watches such as railroad watches; they also were made in such small quantities that collectors usually do not have the option of choosing between identical watches with and without inscriptions. The inscriptions, e.g., monograms, on high grade watches often are very decorative and add some history or provenance to them.

Therefore, I have no concern about buying watches that have inscriptions as long as they are well-done.

As I said in my earlier posting, if "I collected Hamilton 992Bs or other relatively common railroad watches, I likely would have reasonable opportunities for getting the same watch, case, and dial in varying degrees of condition, with or without engraving. I can readily see why pristine unengraved examples of such relatively fungible watches would command a premium."

posted
To me it is not a detriment and in many situations gives some insight to the history of the watch. Engraved gift or birthday or work related events are in no way objectionable to me but in cases where it looks like a drunken person or 3yr old did the engraving then I pass on to the next watch.