• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Winding issues "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have been running my 1940 Hamilton 992E 24 hrs a day last 20 days and watch loses 90 seconds over a 24 hr period. Last 3 days watch stops working after 6 hrs on full wind. What would be the reason? Thanks!

Posts: 8 | Location: Brea, California in the USA | Registered: February 03, 2018
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Frank,

I cannot urge you too strongly to not wind the watch any further.

What you describe is a movement wherein the oil is at some points missing entirely and in others become a mixture of dirt and sludge. Running the movement in this state will cause undue wear and should be avoided. Running only a few hours on a wind confirms the mainspring grease has also turned to sludge and the spring has likely lost its tension.

Your watch desperately needs proper cleaning, oiling adjusting and likely a new mainsping. We have qualified watchmakers listed in our "IHC185™ Members Business Directory" who will use only the highest quality (mostly synthetic) lubricants in servicing your watch.

One more point, avoid local jewelry stores as they more often than not send watches away, often off-shore and then double the bill to their customer. With IHC Members you will get more and actually pay less.

With our members we can guarantee the work will be performed professionally and you will be delighted with the results.

And help keep our hobby strong... Join and Support the Internet Horology Club 185™

Let us know how it turns out in this same topic.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I agree with Lindell , it sounds like it is grinding to halt , we are lucky having several master watchmakers at our fingertips

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
This is the watch that I sold to Frank.

He is sending it to, our resident member, Paul Davis to look at and see what I may have missed when I serviced it.

Now Frank can see the value of being an IHC185 member. No worries hear at all!! Smile

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
posted
I absolutely thank you all and I spent a good 45 minutes on phone with Larry as he educated me on these fascinating Vintage watches. He also agreed to assist me in getting the watch examined at no cost to me. IHC185 is truly a great supportive and informative site. A special thanks to the president for personally responding to me!

Posts: 8 | Location: Brea, California in the USA | Registered: February 03, 2018
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Frank,

Our IHC185 Members are always glad to help! It will be interesting to know what Paul Davis finds out.

As you know, Larry Lamphier is a good person and he freely shares his knowledge with anyone who would like to know more about horology.

For as little as $12.00 a year, you can become a Supporting Internet Horology Club 185™ Member and we urge you to take us up on that offer. At this point you are a "registered user" with access to our public forums but by becoming an IHC185 Member, you will have access to our private "Members Only" forums which included...

Avoiding the PITFALLS of On-Line Trading!™

BUY AND SELL HERE, THE IHC185™ TRADING MART

...to name just a few.

So, we look forward to you become a member.

Let us know whenever we might be of help in any way.

Sincerely,

Lindell V. Riddle, Founder and President
Internet Horology Club 185 at www.ihc185.org
Watch & Clock Discussions, On-Line Education Worldwide

eMail: ihc185@roadrunner.com

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Hello Frank, and everyone else that posted here, received Frank's watch, upon pulling the balance and check for the fork to be working properly, it was but was slugish to one side, so upon removal of the fork and bridge, noticed the fork was stuck in the upper jewel, upon removal of the fork from the jewel, noticed that the pivot was slightly bent and making it stick in the jewel. So when I seen that even though the watch had been serviced before, I went ahead and did my service on it, replaced the mainspring, and also straighten the pivot on the fork, upon completion of putting it all together, the timing was approx. 6-7 secs a day off so far, of course gonna let it run a day or two to make sure no additional problems creep up, but I think all is well, in fact in the case with hands on it after 7 hours running, it is showing right on time, and of course this was done at no cost whatsoever for Frank, as Larry always says he stands behind what he sells so he will be picking up the bill for this one completely..thank you all.

Also Frank if your not a member 12.00 a year is well worth it here on ihc, in fact I highly recommend you to join today and leave me feedback here also, it will be the best 12.00 you spent this year by far...thank you.

Paul Davis

Posts: 672 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 01, 2015
posted
Thank you so Paul and all for listening and giving great advice. I will become a member asap! Thank you Larry for standing true to your word and making me feel comfortable as I am a novice in the vintage watch world...but not for long.