• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Colonial : nice but ... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a Waltham Colonial (ser.no. 13598060), a nice watch indeed, and I have read here and there some infos about Colonial series, but something is still missing to me.
First of all, a simple question: why "Colonial" name for thinner watches ? I would have thought such a name for ruggedized watches, not for thin elegant things.
Second point, more serious: the Model, according to the Gray Book is "Ser.", and grade No. 1420, and I don't know what "Ser." means.
I thank who will help me, I'm discovering Waltham right now, so be patient with a newbie, please.

Posts: 277 | Location: Cardano al Campo in Italy | Registered: March 29, 2008
posted
Might be the serial number on the movement?

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
yes, the 13598060 is the ser.no. on the movement, and data from Gray Book match

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mario, As for the Name, That's Advertising. It makes about as much sense as Chevrolet "Malibu", or Ford "Gran Torino".

The Colonial Model "SER" refers to it being the "Colonial SERIES" of model named/numbered designations. The Waltham Advertisement below includes your "1420" "SER(ies)" Colonial movement in 4 different choice Waltham-fitted cases. These were a 14-ish size movement that was packed in a tapered 16-ish size case to look "thinner". So more important is that your Colonial is Waltham-Cased.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Yes it is, David, and a very nice case, or better is a C.W.C. Co Star with a big inscription "FOR WALTHAM COLONIAL SERIES", swingout. The dial is the first at left, a deep cream color, I should say near mint. A lovely watch !

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Thanks David, Great Ad!

Mario,
OOOOOO I would sure like to see that dial.
Can you post a photo? Sounds very nice.
Congratulations on a nice find!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Sheila, I am an old & old fashioned guy, I can't resist to a lady. Here follows, but, believe me, the picture has been taken in artificial light, and doesn't portait faithfully neither the color itself nor the central guillochè area.

posted
David, really intersting ad: it occurs to me that, if in 1914 I had to pay a minimum of 34 USD for this jewel, in 2009 dollars this means roughly 740 USD, or about 580 EUR. Food for thought, I deem (source: St. Loius Fed. Res. Bank via economagic)

posted
oops .. wrong chart : this is better

posted
and here is the case opened up

posted
and the movement itself ... I do like it

posted
Mario,

Simply Beautiful!

Even in the darker light, that dial is very, very nice.

I also really like the case, they're so different.
I have a few swing out cases too, however mine are a little different than yours, that one is unusual, and I like that one a lot.
Mine just open up and the movement alone swings out, and the bow isn't attached to it.
Wow, really different.

The movement looks mint too! WOW!

Thank you so much for showing it.

Congratulations on a great find.

Sheila

posted
Thanks, Sheila, you are very kind !
In any case also my best preferred 910, cased by Hamilton, is not bad ...

posted
Mario,
Another fine piece, and in a Hamilton Case too.
I see it's a swing out case! I have seen them before, but did a lot of companies make them?

Sheila

posted
Sheila, I would say that thos "3 pieces swingout" cases are not uncommon: the earlier I have is an English, silver hallmarked London 1841. I am a little vain, so I used an 1831 letter opener to hold the heavy movement in place ...

posted
WOW! Mario,
I love the opener! I have seen that style before and it is Gorgeous!

Also, I know that the case is not really rare, I have a few, but I don't often see them with the movement having the bow attached to it, and the cut out or space in the case for it.

When mine swings out, it's just the movement, and the pendant is separated from the movement.

Yours is unusual to me, but hey, I don't have many swing outs either.

Thank you for the photos, and I love your letter opener.

PS The one below is an example of most of the ones I have. It's a C.W.C.Co. in Sterling Silver I picked up a while ago. Notice the Pendant is still there.

Sheila

CWCCo Sterling4