• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question about Watch case size "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have in my possession two watch cases that neither a 16s or a 18s mvmt will fit in. One is a hunter and the other is an open face made sometime in the 30's I assume because it has the CB&Q Zephyr machine engraved on the back like so many base metal replacement cases of the period have. But both are gold filled. Can anyone in the group here here tell me what 17s mvmts might fit outside of the Illinois Sangamo Specials. As I said one is a hunter. I can post photos but you cant tell what the internal size is from a photo. Thanks in advance.
Michael

Posts: 148 | Location: Germantown, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2015
posted
Hi Michael , If you could post a picture , also there should be serial numbers and a manufactures name on the inside cover

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Some other 17 size movements are the Waltham 1888 and the Hamilton large pillar plate movements that were made before about 1900.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Elgin convertible model is bit bigger than size 16 and is not size 17

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
elgin had a 17 size early in their line-up

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Kevin,
I'll post photos tomorrow along with actual ID the best I can measure. I cant find my calipers right now, Murphy's Law I guess. It just does not seem right that these cases that appear to be so common were built for an uncommon size unless the Swiss fakes some how come into play here.

Posts: 148 | Location: Germantown, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2015