• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Keystone Howard questions "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Greetings all. I haven't pestered you for a while, so I thought it was about time! Smile
I recently won a Keystone Howard and had a couple of questions. I'm really just trying to figure out what it is.
Serial number is 1203089. 17 jewels. It says Pat'd 12 instead of Pat'd 18 which I've seen on a close number online (though to be honest, I'm not sure the significance of either). Am I correct that it is a Series 7? 1915 ish? It's my first Howard and I just looking for anything you guys know.
Thanks and here are a few pics.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
It's missing the second hand and the other two are pretty rough. It appears to have an old plastic crystal on it which I'm sure didn't help anything.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Crescent case with just a plain back. Nothing engraved.

posted
And the E. Howard engraving inside.
Any info you want to throw my way, I greatly appreciate.
Thanks and a good weekend to you all!

posted
Edward - Yes. Your watch is classified as a Series 7, featuring 17 jewels, and adjusted to temperature, isochronism, and three positions. The updated patent marking indicates improvements in the setting mechanism. Attached images are from a c.1909 Howard Watches catalog describing the Series 7. (Notice your watch is not fitted with the stop-work mechanism)

Patent Documentation:
US1013896
US1029116

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
It is a 12 sz 17 Jewel Series 7 made around 1915. It is missing a regulator spring.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Thank you gentlemen!
As usual this site is the best.

posted
For Buster and others, does E Howard have a detent stem much like some South Bend, the Elgin 57X series along with some early Hamilton grades?

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1555
posted
The 12s Keystone-Howard's sure do have a detent stem Claude. So if anyone has an uncased one they will have to find the stem as wellSmile

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
What I thought, picked up a 12s 19s missing either the stem and crown or just the crown but I tend to think it is both crown and stem. I noticed the small screw to set the detent so one lesson learned on Howards.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1555
posted
Just about those regulator whip springs Edward, be aware that there is a difference between 12 size Howard whip springs not all will interchange.

This seems to be a weak spot with these models, as a great deal of them you will come across have broken whip springs in my experience. Yours might have been pilfered for another watchFrown

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011