Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Model 1877 KW LS "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I have this Waltham Model 1877 KW Appleton Tracy & Co. in a KW case. It also has a lever. I have a copy of "Movement Production American Waltham Watch Co.". Looking under the Model 1877 AT&Co. both 11j and 15j KW I do not see a lever set version listed. Does any of our Waltham experts have any idea where I can get information on how many lever set AT&Co. model 1877's were produced? The serial number on this one is 998804.

Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted

IHC Member 1610
posted

IHC Member 1555
posted
I think if you pull that dial Harry you will find that that has an "Abbott's conversion on it mate. If you decide to have a look can you check for me if the Abbott's assembly has a patent date on it please?

Cheers,
Bila

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Bila,

That is what I was thinking also but I could not figure out why they would put it into a KW case if it has an Abbott's conversion. I will see if I can find a date on it without taking it apart. But if I need to take it apart I will check.

Thanks Bila!

Harry

IHC Member 1555
posted
Yeah Harry strange I know, but it is harder and more costly to case an Abbott's conversion watch then just throwing it back into a normal key wind open face case. You will find that lever goes up & down (an Abbott's feature) to set, not in and outSmile

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thanks Bila,

Yea I know it slides up and down rather than in and out but what I hope is that if it is an Abbott's that there is enough of the square top on the canon pinion that I can get a key on. If I can then I will leave it like it is. I had two Rockford's that had Abbott conversions but there was not enough of the square top left to get a key on it. Basically with one of those Abbott conversions you have to find a hunter transitional case (almost impossible to find) or drill a hole in the dust cover of a regular hunter case (not a good choice).

Harry

IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Bila it does have an Abbott's conversion on it. The Pat. date reads "H. Abbott Pat. Jan. 18, 1881".

Harry

IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Harry.