• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with Waltham 16s 23 jewel Vanguard "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a 16s 23 jewel Vanguard Model 1908 model that I just serviced & replaced the broken main spring.

My problem is I can't figure out how to assemble the shipper spring. I just bought it and assumed it was just a less fancy version of my #1899 Vanguard model.
Can anyone help?
Thanks

Posts: 61 | Location: Oak Island, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 06, 2017
posted
Are you at Oak Island now? Are you in Hurricane Florence????

spencer bernstein

Posts: 37 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: March 16, 2018
posted
Yes we were hit yesterday & it just sat here. We are fine ,I'm working on my Vanguard. We have had 4 hurricanes since we moved here in the 80's and never leave. We have had 18inches of rain so far. 100 mph gusts yesterday 50mph today. And worse than that I can't get this Vanguard together.
Any Ideas?

Posts: 61 | Location: Oak Island, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 06, 2017
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hey Tim, whats up with that shipper mate? You should have the setting lever & retaining screw, shipper, shipper spring, shipper cap & it's retaining screw.

Put the lever in place and retain with screw, carefully roll the dial plate over, then fit the shipper on to it's pivot pin that is part of the dial plate with the "C" shape end around/against the lever actuating pin. The round end (hole end) of the shipper spring attaches to the part of the setting lever (actuating pin as well) that protrudes through the dial plate.

The other end of the shipper spring then locks into the small "V" area on the bottom side of the shipper. When locking the spring in to the "V" be careful, as the spring can go flying. After fitting the shipper spring then place the cap over and then fit retainer screw, all doneSmile

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks Bila for posting that information.

Smile

Posts: 5228 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Thanks Bila your a STAR

posted
My movement is the model 1908 and doesn't have the same configuration . It seems to have the wind indicator material. movement #3124590
On page 131 of Swigarts manual of watch movements. here is a photo of the shipper parts

IHC Member 1555
posted
That is the same Tim, fits as I said in previous post. Do you have the screw to hold the round cap on?

IHC Member 1613
posted
Tim,
I sent a couple pics to your email address...They should hook you up..Gary

Posts: 2007 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
I will post them here too..

Posts: 2007 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
Pic 2

IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Gary, as I described it, the photos should help Tim heaps.

posted
Thanks everyone for the help. All together & working great.
I did it all while Hurricane Florance was overhead here on Oak Island with 110mph wind and 32 inches of rain.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
This is really good stuff and a joint effective help from two different continents in perfect harmony !! IMPRESSIVE !!

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Yes it is amazing & my vanguard is running perfectly now.