Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

D.H. Strock, Hot Springs, ARK...RR Inspector? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
Anyone have any info on a Mr DH Strock of Hot Springs? Was he a jeweler? RR Inspector?
I can't find any info, curious as to what he did
Watch is a Hamilton 940 from 1904

Looks to be original to this case, but can't figure out what the engraved inside back means either...first 2 letters look like "W.W."

Can anyone enlighten me on this one?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1338
posted
Inside Back

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1338
posted
Movement

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

posted
D.H. Strock was a watchmaker. He is listed under "watches and clocks" in the 1903 Hot Springs city directory as having a shop at 502 Central Ave., which is the city's main street. He is not listed under jewelers.

Posts: 129 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas in the USA | Registered: April 17, 2015
posted
Thanks John , I wonder how many of us looked under jeweler and different spellings !

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
I spoke too soon. The 1905 Hot Springs city directory lists Mr. Strock as a watchmaker and jeweler with a store at a 606 Central Ave.

So far I haven't found anything that suggesting that he was a watch inspector. In the early 1900s Hot Springs was a tourist town dependent on rail service. It then featured mineral baths, horse racing, and illegal gambling, and until about 1920 was a spring training site for some major league baseball teams, notably the Red Sox and Pirates. The city's first rail service began in the 1870s with a line to Malvern, about 20 miles southeast. In 1900, the Little Rock & Hot Springs Western Railroad connected Hot Springs and Little Rock, the state capital. This line was soon bought by the Rock Island Line, which came to be one of the dominant railroads in Arkansas.

Posts: 129 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas in the USA | Registered: April 17, 2015
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I ran trains from Texas to North Little Rock Arkansas through these small towns on the mighty UPRR until my retirement in 2007.

Kool History Thanks !

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1338
posted
Thanks, John! I doubt Mr Strock serviced it last but it's actually keeping railroad time!

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com