WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Riverside A Model Colonial need help finding case "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 2267
posted
Hello All,

I recently purchase a 21jewels Waltham Riverside A Model Colonial and it did not have a case. When I lookup Waltham Riverside Colonials online doing research on serial numbers before I make a offer to buy a watch that is not working for the case I see conflicting information in the pocket watch database. My serial number below shows as a 14s and the chart says it is a 41.49mm and other watches that are in the database say colonial for the size, and there is no actual size in mm given in the database? Can someone help me in my quest to find a case for my pocket watch movement?

Grade: Riverside A
Mixed Run: 19-Jewel and 21-Jewel Examples Reported
Manufacturer: Waltham
Manufacturer Location: Waltham, Massachusetts
Movement Serial Number: 23086471
Grade: Riverside A
Model: Colonial
Estimated Production Year: 1919
Run Quantity: 1,000
Total Production 7,300
Size: 14s
Movement Configuration: Openface
Movement Setting: Pendant
Regulator: Patent
Hairspring: Breguet
Adjusted: Yes
Adjusted to Position: Yes
Railroad Grade: No
Data Research: 1954 Waltham "Gray Book" List

Thanks
Robert :-)

RLVV

Posts: 178 | Location: Placentia, California in the USA | Registered: August 29, 2018
posted
The Waltham Colonial models were offered only as complete watches, cased at the factory. The designations can be rather confusing since the company produced several movement sizes under the “Colonial” moniker.

12-Size Colonial Series
The first model offered was described as the 12-Size “Colonial Series,” starting at serial 13,589,001. It is based on the 12-Size Model 1894. This is later referred to by the company as the “First Colonial Series.” The pillar plate on these movements is 14-Size.

14-Size “Colonial A”
The next introduction was that of the 14-Size Colonial, also known as the “Colonial A.” According to Waltham material catalogs, this model was offered in Riverside and Maximus grades from serial number 18,039,501 to 24,577,000. The Waltham serial lists are inconsistent on how these runs are recorded, which contributes to further confusion.

Your watch would be classified as a 14-Size Colonial-A movement.

10-Size “Colonial A”
The next model to be introduced was the 10-Size Colonial A, beginning with 22,280,001 movement number.

12-Size “Colonial B”
“The Colonial,” also known as the Colonial B, is a 12-Size, Model 1924 movement, starting with 23,285,001 movement number.

If you are set on finding a proper case, your best bet is to track down another watch classified as having a 14-Size “Colonial A.” movement.

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
IHC Member 2267
posted
Thanks for the clification on this I will let you know how I make out in my quest to find a case.

I did find a 14k Gold case for it but it did not have a crystal and they wanted $500 for it? I thought that was a bit high. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

RLVV

Posts: 178 | Location: Placentia, California in the USA | Registered: August 29, 2018
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I hate say, I've seen more orphaned Colonial movements than I've seen cases over the years. Frown

Not a bit surprised at the price you found due to the difficulty of finding them to make a complete watch again. People KNOW they're hard to find, and price them accordingly.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Right up there with the Elgin convertible, nice grade movement just can't hardly find a home for one.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 2267
posted
I wonder how hard it would be to find a crystal for the case I found if I buy it?

Thanks

RLVV

IHC Member 1555
posted
Crystal will be easy to get, our own William White from "White's Crystal Manufacturing" can supply any crystal you need made to order from top quality glass.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Robert,

A hearty WELCOME to IHC Membership and participation! You have already found we have very helpful members.

From Nathan's list you can see there were no less than 4 different movements in nearly as many sizes by the same name so these can be very confusing. The seller likely told you the movement is 12-size, the implication being "STANDARD 12-SIZE" which of course it never was and never will be. If, and that's a "BIG IF" you had a standard 12-size movement I have available a limited number of new-old-stock, never used STANDARD-SIZE cases for 12-size movements.

Without a doubt, someone's greed caused them to sell the original case to a gold-scrapper which leaves you high-and-dry. Roll Eyes The price you were offered is reasonable IF it is indeed the correct size for your movement, which many would tell you is rather unlikely. Mark's observation that he has seen far more "loose" examples of "14-size" Colonial movements is in harmony with my own experience and here is why...

Those "14-size" Colonials like yours were NOT standard size movements and therefore ONLY cases specifically made for them will fit, for that reason you would be wise to predicate your case purchase on the offered case mating correctly to your movement, otherwise you could end up with 2 oddities Roll Eyes and therefore in even worse condition than you began.

The lesson here is to avoid buying "movement-only" unless you have a case or know someone you can trust that does. Others that come to mind are later Hamilton "nominally 12-size" which were not standard 12-size and all South-Bend "nominally 12-size" which like the Hamiltons and your Waltham along with certain Illinois, Elgin and Gruen models will fit ONLY cases designed SPECIFICALLY for the exact type movement for which they were intended. These and other companies made "12-size" movements that were NOT at all standard 12-size and therefore had to be factory-cased watches. Most of these were advertised and SOLD as "12-size" but were actually over-sized in diameter to allow building a thinner watch which were becoming increasingly popular over the years and leading eventually to the advent of "10-size" watches which were even thinner and lighter in weight. Each of these were cased and timed at the factory "ready to market" at the retail level or sold direct to the buyer through mail-order advertising.

By the way, the dial on your movement looks to be silver with real gold numerals and hands and based upon their unusually nice condition the complete, original watch would have likely been a beauty making the scrapping of the original case a real travesty.

ABOUT CRYSTALS... Bila's advice about William White is well-taken, his crystals are hand-made, hand ground and inspected for precise fit. Unless you are buying a supply of many crystals simply send the entire case and for a slight additional charge William will specially fit a new crystal with great precision and I guarantee you will be absolutely thrilled with the outcome.

Take a look here... White's Pocket Watch Crystals Price List

Keep posting and be well my friend,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 2267
posted
Hello Lindell,

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome, I am glad my searching led to this forum. I have some nice pieces I am having serviced and will post them here when they are finished.

I also have some I have purchased that have been serviced and I treasure them.

Thanks

RLVV

IHC Member 2267
posted
All,

I paid the piper the $500 for the case I found, and I think it looks great. Let me know what you think?

Next I am going to reach out to William White and have him make me a crystal.

RLVV

Case1 sm

IHC Member 2267
posted
Another picture of the case

RLVV

Case 3 sm

IHC Member 2267
posted
Here is a shot of the back.

RLVV

Case back

IHC Member 2267
posted
Picture of the side.

RLVV

Side view

IHC Member 2267
posted
Back opened

RLVV

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Robert,

Looks like a winner, make sure the movement fits neatly, I would expect it to fit perfectly. That "Colonial A" marking on a very desirable "stiff-bow" case is important and based upon that marking it should be entirely correct. I would send the entire case to William, then he can fit the style of crystal to the case profile. When it returns show us the finished job right in this same topic.

You are well on the way to a beautiful example of an uncommon watch.

Congratulations,

Lndell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 2267
posted
All,

Here is the finished watch. I have a local friend that owns a watch repair shop and he is a avid collector also. He had original glass for the case, and I had him finish putting it together for me.

RLVV

IHC Member 2267
posted
Finished gem

RLVV

Finished beauty