posted
I was looking at this yesterday:
- South Bend Studebaker
- 12 size
- Ser#1237001, circa 1928
- 21 jewel, 8 adjustments, double roller
- Keystone Extra double hinged case
- case numbers match

Posts: 535 | Location: Innisfil in Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 04, 2014
posted
case back inside

Posts: 535 | Location: Innisfil in Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 04, 2014
posted
inside cuvette

posted
cuvette face, south bend Watch case Co on outer ring

posted
and here is the problem, the dial. as the watch is dated circa 1928 when SB was waning could this dial be considered maybe, possibly somehow correct?

Any opinions/speculation certainly welcome.
regards
Rick

IHC Member 1555
posted
In my opinion yesSmile

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Hello Bila, thanks, glad to hear that. I was thinking of purchasing the watch in any event, your opinion makes me feel good about it.

Cheers
Rick

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Rick,

The case numbers match because it is a hinged case, nothing is separate so of course they match!

South-Bend was not "waning in 1928" but in fact the end came very suddenly at the late November 1929 stock market crash and payments suddenly stopped coming in from their thousands of mail order customers. They were very active throughout 1929 with a large full-color catalog and many advertisements.

Go to our South-Bend Research Forum and look at the "History of South-Bend Watches" where I stated... A correct mail order "Studebaker" will have "Studebaker" in block letters on the movement, we expect to find a "Studebaker" in block letters marked metal dial and no other type of dial is considered to be originally correct for those watches.

Then go into and read our vast number of catalogs and advertisements. "South-Bend and Studebaker Watch Catalogs, Literature & Pictorials" It took me many years and much investment to acquire all of that material, today it is there for your education at no charge.

Looking through the information we provide you will see that South-Bend Watches were sold by Retail Jewelers whereas the Studebaker Mail Order Watches were sold through Mail-Order Advertising.

That is a worn dial and it is NOT original to the movement. Looking closely, there are many scratches where a screw-on-bezel rubbed against the dial yet this is a hinged case! It could be repaired and repainted to resemble a genuine Studebaker (mail-order) Watch Company dial but it is not an original dial for the movement they mated it with.

Incorrect seconds hand and floppy bow are additional warning signs. Bottom line, someone put together their leftovers for a quick resale.

And if the watch in question represents an on-line auction we can move it to our "pitfalls" forum and discuss it in great detail there.

I have spent more than twenty years specifically researching and studying South-Bend Retail and Studebaker Mail Order Watches from the 1920s, as presented this one is neither. If you want the "real-deal" what we see pictured here simply is not.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell, Thank you. The watch stays where it is.

I had read the History of South Bend Watches, the reason I did nothing at the time. I should not have thought about it again as the biggest bell ringer warning (the dial) had already gone off. Yet as apparent I still had to ask the question.
I sincerely appreciate the tutorial sent and the consideration to take the time posting it... and yet again herding the kids on the block along the right path.

The vendor is not online but local.

Much appreciated Lindell
Rick