Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

First Run Hamilton 940 is the 18th Numbered "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I just recently purchased the 18th Hamilton 940 Numbered. Assuming of course they made them in order which we all know they did not but it is the 18th serial numbered Hamilton 940 dating to 1899 serial number 48023. This run started at 48006 I am not counting the two 21 jeweled listed in the Gelson List without a grade number.

It is a private label L.D. Dana Antigo, Wis. Jeweler. Now the really odd thing is the barrel bridge is a grade 942 and the cock and plates have the 940 demaskeen pattern. The 942 and the 940 have a very similar demaskeen pattern but they are different. I pulled the barrel bridge to check the serial number expecting the watch was pieced together. Well the top plate, the cock and the barrel bridge all had the same number stamped or inscribed in them.

There were 505 942's prior to the first run of 295 Hamilton 940's and that does not include the 2 listed as 21 jewel. So Hamilton was piecing their own watches together.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Harry,

Very interesting early Hamilton private label!

I assume they had some barrel covers/bridges already made up and when an additional order from the jeweler came in they just slapped them on and shipped the movements. All these things we obsess about today meant nothig back then, they were just doing whatever it took to sell watches.

More on the 940 grade, I have movement number 48727 which was apparently the 721st numbered Grade 940 blocked in 1898 production records, it is marked as "Hamilton Watch Co., Lancaster, Pa." centered on the barrel cover with "21-Jewels" at the far left. Both "Adjusted" and the movement number are by the balance wheel and "Safety Pinion" arched by the center jewel. Additionally, number 48727 has "Hamilton Watch Co." on the later style Double-Sunk Porcelain-Enamel dial, and of course without that very unique little "D" below the Hamilton signature which has to refer to the retail jeweler.

Your watch looks right to me with the exception of later, heavier hands. Original hands on the earliest Hamiltons were considerably lighter, the "heavy-duty look" was to come along soon, going into the Twentieth Century and would eventually be required to enter Railroad Time Service.

Congratulations on a nice find!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Lindell. I plan on cleaning it up and putting the correct hands on it. Actually this is a bad picture and the movement looks a lot better in person than it does in this picture. The small locking mechanism that locks the regulator in for adjusting the regulator with the fine adjustment screw needs replacing also.

Harry

posted
Harry-

I have serial number 43,020. Another private label from early 18s 21j run. First 941 (hunter version of the 940) run to be exact. A little more desirable private label pattern to it... Note that all serial numbers on mine match, except my barrel bridge is marked 43,011? I figured maybe the jeweler had 10 watches of the same style made in the run and the factory never double checked which bridge went with what watch? No doubt on mine that the barrel bridge is the correct one for the watch... I would say your watch, while kind of cobbled together serial number also, came from the factory as you have it and as Lindell mentioned.

Thanks,

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
Dial

IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Jared,

That is a mighty fine looking and very unique early PL Hamilton 941! Thanks for sharing! Yours is number 20 of the first run of 941's. Nice find.

I have discussed this with a IHC member privately but it appears to me that in the early days of Hamilton that the majority of their early run grades were mainly private labels. Your #20 is a PL and my #22 is a PL and I have 3 first run 929's and they are PL's and I have several 930's and 931's, etc that are PL,s. It appears to me that Hamilton may have done some marketing with jewelers in the early days trying to get their business going.

Anyway I got off the subject yes your 941 and my 940 appear to be factory errors that were either done by accident or on purpose.

Harry

posted
Harry, great looking watch and special as a really early first run 940. A minor correction - yours is the 23rd since the serial numbers started at 48001 (#1), 48023 would be #23. A little more info 48023 was finished 1-31-99 and sold 3-8-99 to L. D. Dana Antigo, Wis.
Bob

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the additional information. Actually I did make a mistake. It is actually the 18th numbered 940. According to the Gelson list the first run did not start with 48001 it started with 48006. 48001 through 48005 were a short run of 942's. I will make the change from 1898 to 1899. Thanks Bob!

Harry

IHC Member 1357
posted
I think you got it right Harry,and a great find!
And Jareds also. Great damasking.

Roger

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Harry my bet is that your bbl bridge is hand inscibed with the serial number and the other bridge and cock are stamped ? Would that be correct ?

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Harry-

I grew up about 40 minutes from where that private label is from. now a little over an hour away. I bought it online without being able to see the movement as the owner couldn't get the back off. Figured it was a Hamilton or possibly a Hampden. When it came in and I saw the movement, I was tickled pink!

I have several early private label Hamilton watches from Iowa, but this one is my favorite.

Jared

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Roger.

No Buster the bridge is stamped.

Wow what a nice surprise Jared. I found a nice two tone 18s Seth Thomas that way once. Jared is yours gold flashed or nickel?

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Great posts on the early 940 and 941. I have added an early 940 and 941 to my wish list.
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
posted
Harry- Gold Flashed. If you look at the regulator area you can see the difference between the gold flashed part and the chrome regulator area.

Tony- I've been collecting early 2 tone private label hamiltons for 3 years now or so when I find them. Currently have a 2 tone 935 and 3 two tone 941s. missed a private label two tone 943 few months back. Thought I bid more than fair for it but someone else wanted it worse than me... I'll post pics later.

Jared

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thanks Jared I thought it was gold flashed.

Tony my collection is not as good as Jareds but I also have a 2 tone Hamilton 935 and a 2 tone Hamilton 937 and three first run Hamilton 929's and a first run 928.

Jared I have a two tone 935 what is your serial number? I had two 2 tone 935 and shared one with another member. The serial numbers were only one number apart. You may have the one I have been looking for.

Picture of Mark Clark
posted
Nice watches to all you guys... I’m jealous! Eek

I only have 4 2 tone Hamilton’s, 1-935 and 3-940’s, 1 marked as “Special”..

Mark

Posts: 404 | Location: Austin, Texas USA | Registered: October 01, 2013
IHC Member 1610
posted
Mark we are the ones who should be jealous...

posted
Here is my 935. Very sharp 2 tone like my 941 above.

posted
Here is another 941. Different pattern again.

posted
And last one is from first run 941 again. This is the typical 941 pattern, only 2 tone. Unfortunately its fairly light on the barrel cover portion.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thanks Jared for sharing those beautiful pictures of those beautiful Hamilton's. I have never seen any of those two tone patterns before.

That 935 is a knock out! Are you sure it is a 935 the Gelson list says it is a 937 if I am reading it correctly. I have a 2 tone 937 but it has the exact same pattern as my 2 tone 935 which I thought was odd but both were sold to the same buyer so maybe not.

Harry

posted
Jared
According to the Hamilton ledger, sn 89620 is a 937 finished 12-22-1899 and sold 1-24-1900 to J. W. Forsinger in Chicago. A beautiful watch.
Bob

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011