Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Kortkamp Jewelry Co "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi,

My name is Bryan Kortcamp and I have recently found that our family changed the spelling of our name from Kortkamp to my current spelling of Kortcamp. In the findings we found out that our family owned the Kortkamp Jewelry Co in St Louis, MO circa 1915. I found an Elgin pocket watch with a face that bore the name of the Kortkamp Jewelry Co and I was wondering if there are anymore out there. I obtained the one that I found from a collector who was kind enough to fix it up for me. If anyone has seen one of these watches please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again

Bryan

Posts: 5 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: September 18, 2007
posted
Has anyobody seen one of these?

Posts: 5 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: September 18, 2007
posted
Nobody yet? Oh by the way here is a picture of the one that I found

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Bryan,

Congratulations on your find!

Is your family name and business on the movement as well or the dial only?

These are known as "private-label" watches and some are literally one-of-a-kind as the dial would be signed with the jewelers name as a way for the salesman for the watch company to get an audience with the proprietor. Some others were done in multiples of ten at a time and used to market a local brand in the community.

Further reading: Find-Or-Search for "Private Label" on our IHC Discussion Site

Sadly, there is often little in the way of specific information about the individual jewelers, but I would urge everyone reading this to be on the lookout and help you to acquire others with your family name. It would be great if you are able to locate further reference to Kortkamp Jewelry Company or anything related to it.

Best of luck in your quest!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Bryan,

Just from a quick google, it appears there is a town called Kortcamp, located near St Louis. I would think that contacting the local historical society might be rewarding.

I found out a lot about my private label watch C.C. Fried, Springfield O, by doing that.

Happy hunting,

Bill Kapp

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
posted
Hi Bryan,
We have a Kortkamp pocket watch in the original box.

E. H. Kortkamp Jewelry Co.
612 N. Broadway
St. Louis, Mo.

Appraised in 1983. Almost perfect condition. Willing to sell.
Barb Gilhaus. Will attach pictures.

Posts: 2 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: October 23, 2011
posted
Here is my second picture.

Posts: 2 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: October 23, 2011
posted
Hi Barbara,

Sorry it e=took me so long to get back to you. My wife and I were out of town last week and getting caught up has been quite the chore. Now on to this beautiful find. I love it. Thank you so much for posting it and letting me know. I am sure that my family and I would be interested to see about obtaning this piece from you. I would love some more information on the watch such as how and where you got it and what you would be willing to part with it for. If you prefer you can contact me via email at bkortcamp@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks Barbara

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Bryan

Not sure if you were interested in the following, this is from an article on page 2 of the Nov 18, 1891 Chillicothe Constitution Chillicothe Mo. It mentions the Kortkamp Jewelery Store.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
One other from The Book of St. Louisans by John Leonard 1906

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Great articles. Thanks Tom!