Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hairline progression-Rats "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
-Ball Hamilton 999B, 21J 16size
-ser# 1B23151, cica 1951

I purchased the watch 4 years ago, gave it a good look and all was good. About a year later I had it out and at the angle I held it with good lighting I noticed 3 faint lines from the centre of the dial to the edge of the dial. After a few profanities I wondered what went on there.

Here are a couple of photos as it looks now, the dial photos are taken at an angle. Too bad, nice watch and a good timekeeper. Line 1-btw 11 & 12 - line 2 at bottom of 1 and line 3 at top of 8.

Rats and all that.
Rick

Posts: 535 | Location: Innisfil in Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 04, 2014
posted
dial 1

Posts: 535 | Location: Innisfil in Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 04, 2014
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Few questions as the hairlines going from center not from dial feet position, could some one who did service press too hard while removing hands?,what temperature was the watch held at.
Or the age S#*% just happens and dials cracks.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Hi Peter, I suppose it could have happened during servicing but I don't think so, the fellow I bring watches to is experienced and have had no issues previously. As far as temperature the watch was not subjected to any wild temperature swings. I think it may be as you suggest..sometimes dials crack. Rats!

Regards
Rick

IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Rick, you are correct that "sometimes dials crack" However you will find that any Melamine dial will crack at random. I see the shinny ones like that one crack under the nice surface, but eventually it will come to the surface. I have about fifty of them that the dials have gotten so bad that they will actually stop the hands. I believe it will not be long and there will be no more melamine dials.

I took a NOS melamine dial out of the package, put it on the movement, and listed it on ****, the other site, and when I sold it and sent it to my customer, and it had a nice hairline between the 10, and the 11. They are just BAD dials! Frown

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
posted
Hi Larry, thanks for the melamine dial assessment. I think I'll wear it as a carry watch more often and enjoy it. Might get a few years wear out of it before it gets ugly.

Rick

posted
Newbie question. Is a melamine dial the same as a porcelain dial?

Posts: 42 | Location: Columbiana, Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2018
posted
Rick, I don't know a lot about melamine dials but I think they are a type of plastic composition and as Larry indicated they do not hold up well.
I'm sure if you search here for melamine composition you will get a lot more info

Regards
Rick

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Here is one topic dealing with "Melamine"

And another discussion

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
When I was learning watch repair, the old timer that owned the watch & clock shop told me, dials could crack even in a safety deposit box from a thunder & lightning storm.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Dr. Debbie, thank you for the posts I appreciate the courtesy.
I think I'll stay away from melamine dials.
Regards
Rick

posted
Dr. Debbie, thank you for the links, Ma'am! It's amazing to me how much I can learn here. AND how helpful and nice everyone I have talked with here has been. I'm never been a part of such a fine group!

Posts: 42 | Location: Columbiana, Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2018
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Gentlemen,

You are welcome!

Smile

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002