• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

illinois model 1 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Are all model 1 illinois keywind only , if I see a stem winder that would be something other than a model 1 ?

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I am not sure Kevin but I know Illinois made a lot of transitional movements but I don't know if they were the same or different models but I do know that I have seen KW KS movements in the wrong stem wind case but the stem wind would not work you would still need to use the KW mechanism to wind the watch and key to set it.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Thanks Harry , Every book I read says model 1's are kw/ks , but I see watches misrepresented as model 1's and they are 2's with kw and stem wind

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Illinois first 18 size offerings were the KW-KS 7-15 Jewel Model 1's. They had the market all to themselves from Dec. 01, 1871 to 1877. The 18 size Model 1's started their serial no's from 1 thru 38,900, and then the 18 size Models 2-3-4's were also made starting with 38,901. After 1877 up until about 1895 you could still order the 18 size KW-KS Model 1's along with the 18 size Models 2-3-4's in stem wind/lever-set/pendant-set configurations. Around 1895 the old 18 size KW-KS Model 1's were no longer offered from the factory with the last one, 1,254,900 being made. The transitioning from the old and now defunct Model 1, 18 size KW-KS had evolved.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1824
posted
Here is an mine (I am sure others have a better one), it a 7 jewel Mason from June 1873. I bought as a movement and put in a heavy (8 oz.) key wind case to display only. Don’t know if it runs as didn’t want to wind it and harm it any way. Sorry pics not so good.

Posts: 148 | Location: Davie, Florida in the USA | Registered: March 26, 2013
IHC Member 1824
posted
Dial

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
That's a nice looking Mason !! Share your serial number with us please.

Additionaly speaking, these movements or "motors" are at their finest when they are being used and running. You can get more enjoyment out of a running watch than one that is non-running. To carry your watch occasionely or daily and use it is where you really begin to appreciate them. Nostalgia at it's finest hour !!

regards,
bb

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I TOTALLY agree with Buster, and there's something really neat to pull out a big old keywind watch to check the time.

The 1869 dated model 1 Elgin's I own are pretty good time keepers too, so I join others to say get that watch serviced and enjoy it.

One of my FAVORITE vest carry watches is my Elgin Advance model 1 hunter 11j. It's a REALLY good time keeper to boot, and dates to 1878.

There's also nothing more satisfying than having to interact with a key wind watch every morning when winding and setting with a separate key.

There's nothing to my mind sadder than a nice watch that's just languishing as a display piece when they're still able to perform the function they were originally created to do!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1824
posted
Buster the s/n is 8242. I bought it because of the low s/n and I am an Illinois fan. Seller did not list as running and unfortunately I haven’t had the funds to send it to someone for a once over and a COA but I will in the near future (fingers crossed). From the outside appearance it looks nice but who knows what’s inside! Thanks for the comments Buster and Mark.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Very nice, thank you Michael and good luck !

regards,
bb

posted
Nice one Mike ,there was another low serial that just sold . it looks like it has been serviced but trust me it's cheaper to be sure