• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Label Columbia "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I saw an old thread about this but I was wondering if anybody knows the history behind the Columbia private label on Elgin pocket watches? Google turns up zippo which kind of shocked me.

Posts: 7 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: July 09, 2017
posted
Hi , Could you give the serial number and is columbia on the dial or movement or both , a picture would be great but you MUST SHRINK them

edit ; illinois watch co had a model columbia

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Robert,

Welcome aboard!

Some very helpful people will be happy to research it for you but Kevin is right, must have the movement number and yes, a picture would be a big help.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Welcome Robert.

It doesn't help on the Columbia name history but Elgin Columbia #26035093 so marked on dial and movement sold recently on eBay.

Could even be you who bought it.

Item # 282586336236

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The United States was often referred to as "Columbia" and there is a patriotic song... "Columbia the Gem of the Ocean" that was popular a century or so back.

My thinking is the Columbia watch may have been a private label to capitalize on the well-known name. There are many towns and cities named "Columbia" and I grew up in a house on "Columbia Avenue" attending an elementary school by that same name.

By the way Elgin number 26035093 that Lorne referenced comes back as a rather common Grade 313 (524,000 produced) Elgin 15-Jewel with no "Columbia" reference shown in the Elgin records. Seems more and more like a private label to me.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
What a beautiful song , a rival for the national anthem . Great sleuthing Lorne and Lindell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wIDXclKtGQ

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
It was me that purchased the one on ebay here's a pic. dial also says columbia

posted
nere's the dial

posted
I agree Lindell on the private label. I'm wondering how it came to pass, and find it interesting the movement and the dial are both signed.

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Robert, here are a couple I dug up.

COLUMBIA ELGIN #26120315 1923 12s Gr315 Model 3 15j - Dial - Columbia Elgin, Mvt. - Columbia Elgin

COLUMBIA ELGIN #28850424 1925 16s Gr291 Model 3 7j - Dial - Columbia Elgin, Mvt. - blank space

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
quote:

Hmm different grades and produced for awhile.