WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Just Acquired Illinois Bunn Special 163A Type II B "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Thought I would share my newest addition that I was lucky enough to add to my collection today. I should have it in hand within 14 days when I will post more pictures. Its a Illinois "Bunn Special" 60 hour "Elinvar" model 163-A Railroad watch. 16 size, 23 jewels, DR, Adj Temp & 6 pos, DMK, GJS, SW, LS, Two-tone Keystone "Illinois, Bunn Special" #206 OF case, DSD "Montgomery" porcelain dial with Arabic numerals marked "Illinois, Bunn Special, 23 Jewel, 60 hour" and 5456651 is the movement number.

I love the 2 tone cases so thats a plus. Can't wait to send it to Paul for his service work and a good cleaning.

According to the IHC Seven Stars Database its a Type II B and I am assuming from what I have read here thats one of the harder to find of these Elinvar Bunn Specials. Anyone that cares to comment, that would be great.

Posts: 54 | Location: Rolesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2017
posted
that is a nice one

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Thanks I can’t wait to get it. I thought I would get outbid, but I guess I got lucky (crossed fingers)

Posts: 54 | Location: Rolesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2017
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
WOW that is nice!

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
According to the posted serial number; 5456651,

It would be a 163A Type II B. There were 1,800 total movements produced like this one.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Awesome Buster, looks like a keeper.

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
posted
Oh yep that ones a keeper indeed. I have been watching this one since late October. Its in Michigan now and I cant wait for it to get here.
Thanks for the info bb

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
I don’t know why I thought Buster got this, so now, congratulations to Wesley. Very nice score and a great addition to your collection.

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I thought I was getting a compliment for my diligence........

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Got the watch in today. Here are the pictures as taken the best I can. Im certainly no photographer. Maybe someone can give me some tips. I know you cant tell from the picture, but the hands are all nice and blued and the dial is quite clean.
Picture !

posted
Picture 2
The back of the 2 tone 206 case is very clean with no dings or major scratches. There are some surface scratches that I am sure Paul will get cleaned up quite nicely. There is some brassing to the yellow gold around the bottom and up the sides a bit. Cant tell unless you are looking for it.

posted
Pic 3 Wheels will need replacing but I have several Bunn Special 60 Hours with the same wheels as this one so shouldn't be a problem for Paul to swap them out.

posted
Now after a couple weeks or so its off to Paul to replace the wheels and do a COA and I will be quite happy.
Have a great day all

posted
Inside case

posted
Very nice watch Wesley...congratulations!

Posts: 383 | Location: Northern Pennsylvania USA | Registered: April 04, 2007
IHC Member 2030
posted
Doggone nice Wesley
That is a great machine.

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
Thanks guys, I love this watch. So far the favorite of my collection.